Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Surprisingly Accurate Horoscope

Photo: lukehalliwell.wordpress.com

Hello Optimists,

I was flipping through The Metro the other day and after unsuccessfully completing the crossword puzzle, I glanced down to the end of the page to read my horoscope. And I must say, it was surprisingly accurate. I'm not really sure how I feel about all of that fortune telling stuff...tarot cards, palm reading, horoscopes, and whatnot...I do like fortune cookies though (but mainly for the cookie).

But occasionally when I grab the newspaper I'll flip through the pages and end my headline scanning with a look at my Pisces horoscope. Usually it's something really vague or ambiguous like, "You might encounter an obstacle of some sort today" or "Someone may take notice of your talents". Can't it just say, "Look under your doormat for a $100 bill" or "You know that cute guy you saw at the coffee shop? Well, he noticed you too, and here's his number...". Is that too much to ask? Well, probably. But the one I read most recently caught me off guard, and was right on the money with what was going on in my mind. It said, "You're holding back what is a promising idea because of lack of confidence in yourself." Being so surprised, I took a moment to clear my eyes and then dove back into the pages, reading it over for a second time. Of course, the words didn't change, and my eyes weren't deceiving me...this little bugger was right on.

So it got me thinking about some things because I've had some ideas churning in my head for a while now, and the reason it's still only an idea is precisely because of what my horoscope had to say. I was doubting my ideas before I even put them to the test, all because I lacked the confidence it took to get the idea off the ground. The more I kept thinking about this idea, the more reasons I started to come up with about why it just wouldn't work. This had been going on for a few days, and then I just happened to read this horoscope and it was like a sign or a wake up call or something. Whatever it was, it opened my eyes and reminded me that in order to make something happen, you've first got to have the confidence in yourself to allow it to become a reality. And then I came across this quote which seemed to be another sign that I just need to quit battling with myself and just start believing...
We all have our own life to pursue, our own kind of dream to be weaving. And we have the power to make wishes come true, as long as we keep believing. -Louisa May Alcott
I love this quote. We really do have our own life and dreams to pursue, and we can make anything happen. If we have a dream we'd like to fulfill, a "bucket list" of things we want to accomplish, or an idea that we want to become a reality, it's all possible. But the first step in making any of these things happen is that we just need to believe in ourselves.

Sometimes we just need that extra little push of assurance when we want to do things, and in my case, it came in the form of a horoscope and quote. And while I am so happy that I came across those great words of advice the other day, I'm not too sure that I'm totally convinced of their accuracy. But just in case, I might just order Chinese food tonight for dinner....with extra fortune cookies.

So what do you think....do you read your horoscopes everyday and find that they relate to your daily life or are you somewhat of a skeptic?

Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

  1. They play quickie horoscopes on the radio every AM. I def. tune in and hear the vague messages, but you are *right.* Some days you just need to hear those words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all comes down to when we are ready we hear the message. You could have gotten that horoscope at a dozen other points in your life and it wouldn't have made a difference.

    You have me IMMENSELY curious about what ever it is that has been "churning inside your head!"

    Kathy over at Everyday Bliss

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!