Thursday, May 27, 2010

Time To Dust Off Your Bookshelf

Photo: cam.k12.il.us

Hello Optimists,

I've always enjoyed a good book, and if there's one thing the summer season gets me excited for is to get ahead on some reading. I'm not quite sure where I got this book worm gene from...my sister doesn't really enjoy reading for pleasure, my dad only reads sports or mafia-related books, and my mom has an ever-growing stack of books that I've recommended to her on the coffee table. Unopened, might I add. So it's quite a surprise to everyone that I always have my nose buried in a book and that I read just to read.

I have a list of books I want to get through and it seems like I add a new one almost every day. I will finally have some more time to devote to reading, and I'm happy to report that I'm already off to a good start. Last week I read "Delivering Happiness: A Path To Profits, Passion, and Purpose" by Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos.com. I gave away a free advanced copy of it in my last giveaway and I'm sure happy I was able to spread the happiness around because it was a great read. You'll be hearing more about it soon when I write a review, so stay tuned for more details about that.

After finishing that book, I picked up another that had been sent to me, called "A Million Miles in A Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life" by Donald Miller. I have never read any of his other books before, but this one in particular sounded really great and is all about finding meaning and direction in life...something that is of great interest to me. I started reading this morning, and though I am only about 40 pages in, I can already tell that it's going to be a good one. I'll be sure to fill you in with a good review when I'm done reading.

As many of you may know I am a great fan of Dr. Seuss and today's featured quote from him tells us why reading is so great. This is the perfect quote for this post, and there couldn't be anyone greater to offer a quote about reading than Dr. Seuss.
The more that you read, the more things that you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. -Dr. Seuss
So true! I should recite this quote to the rest of my family and see if it inspires them to crack open a new book. But really, I couldn't say it better myself. We can learn so so so much from reading, and the more that we learn, the more we can apply it to our lives...or jobs...or hobbies. And after putting our knowledge to action, we're bound to expand our boundaries, whether they be physical or emotional. In a book, you can travel the world without leaving your comfy chair, learn about the life of someone you look up to, spruce up some of your techniques for work, or just learn some random trivia that will make you look smart in front of your friends. So why not dust off that book that's been sitting on your shelf and actually read it? I bet when you're through with it, you'll be glad you did!

So, Optimists, are you one to read just to read? What are some of the books that you're reading now? What's on your list of books you'd like to read?

Keep Smiling,




If you'd like to read some of my other posts featuring quotes from Dr. Seuss, check out Here's To You, Dr. SeussSeussical, and Merry Christmas!. I told you I was a fan.



1 comment:

  1. I am a total bookworm ;-). I just finished reading The Lovely Bones and The Poisonwood Bible. Both were great!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!