Monday, May 24, 2010

When It Comes to Lost, I'm Lost

Photo: eyeonsoaps.net

Hello Optimists,

Do I have any Lost fans out there? Ok, you can put your hands down; probably everyone reading this is a fan. I personally have never watched an episode, so when it comes to Lost, I'm lost. But yet I feel like I know the plot and story line pretty well because I always hear people talking about it. Last night there was a special recap of the show's past seasons, highlighting its most exciting moments with interviews from all the cast members and producers... and I must say, it really looks like a good show. But considering the last episode ever will be airing, now is probably not the best time to get hooked on it.

But this did get me thinking about being lost. And if there's one thing in life that I really don't like, it's being lost. I hate the feeling of not knowing where I am, where I need to go to get someplace, or  not knowing what's around me. Plus there's nothing worse than looking like you're lost...the locals can pick out a "tourist" in an instant. Thank goodness for my little GPS- she never steers me wrong, and since I've set her voice to an English accent, it provides a bit of comic relief during my journeys.

After thinking about all of this, it reminded me of a quote that I once read and I thought it fit in perfectly considering that everyone is talking about Lost.
Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien 
You know, that's true. I guess sometimes even those that look like a tourist aren't really a tourist...perhaps they're just taking their time to enjoy the day, not rushing here or there, not worried about being on time for anything. Maybe they're taking a moment to absorb their surroundings. Maybe they like to wear cargo khaki shorts and Hawaiian shirts. Maybe they are just... wandering. Surely that doesn't automatically mean their lost, right?

I guess we shouldn't judge only by what we see, and more importantly, by what we perceive. There's usually a lot more than just what meets the eye, and we need to remember that. If the speed of the car in front of you could match that of a parade, don't automatically assume they don't know where they're going. I mean, they could be lost, but they could just be out cruising and enjoying the scenery on a nice day.

I guess it's like that old saying, "Don't judge a book by it's cover"... because really, we have no idea what it's like inside. The same goes for people. We need to get over making assumptions based on our own perceptions, especially when it comes to meeting new/encountering new people. So remember that not all those who wander are lost. 


Keep Smiling,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!