Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Wishbone and Backbone

Photo: facebook.com/eatpraylove

Hello Optimists,

I've been seeing so many new movie trailers on TV lately and it gives me just one more reason to be super excited for summer. Iron Man 2 premieres in just a few days, Sex and The City 2 kicks off at the end of the month, Toy Story 3 hits the big screen in June, Little Fockers opens at the end of July, and then, the moment we've all been waiting for (or at least, the moment I've been waiting for), Eat Pray Love opens in theaters August 13!

I've blogged about Eat Pray Love before (see Copy Cats and You'll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid) so you already know that I'm a huge fan. Not only am I looking forward to seeing the wonderfully inspiring and raw tales from book come to life, but I am also so excited to see Julia Roberts, Javier Bardem, and James Franco star in the film. I've been trying to keep up with any news about the movie, and recently I paged through the "official stills" from the set and watched the new trailer that was just released. Needless to say, I am beyond excited.

The book told an incredible true story of a woman who lost her appetite for life and took a year to travel through Italy, India, and Indonesia to find herself again. The story touched on all of the things she had learned by taking on this journey of a lifetime, but after reading through the pages, I realized that I too had learned some things about life. It's such a refreshing take on the sometimes unexpected ways we find happiness and really offers up a new way of perceiving our lives. Take a minute to watch the trailer if you haven't already, and I bet you'll see why I'm so excited for this premiere...



As I was reading the book, I marked the pages that I thought offered up some good advice, and by the time I was finished, more than half of the pages' edges were folded down. I thought I would share one more little quote from the book that I stored away because I thought it had incredible power.
You gotta stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be. -Robert, in Eat Pray Love
I thought this was a really profound statement and something we should all think about. It reminds us that we need to have that "go get 'em" attitude, that we've got to be strong and stand up for the things we believe in. We can't be just wishing and hoping that things will come to be, but rather, we should be making the things we want to see happen become a reality. This is one of the many great quotes I took from the book, and it shows just how much we can all learn from the search for the true meaning of life that this author took. If you haven't already done so, pick up a copy of the book...you will not be disappointed. And I bet you too will be counting down the days until the movie release!

If you have read Eat Pray Love, what was your reaction? Did it inspire you to go on your own personal journey to find meaning in your life? And if you haven't read it yet, do you plan on reading it before the movie or will you just wait until the film comes out?

Keep Smiling,

1 comment:

  1. It took me FOREVER to get through Eat, Pray, Love. I enjoyed it once I finished. My favorite sections were the Italy and the last one. The India one didn't really do anything for me. I think seeing it on the big screen will make me like it more--especially because Julia is the main character! I just bought Committed, the author's other book, and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!