Monday, June 21, 2010

Dreams For Sale

Photo: heartofgatech.edu

Hello Optimists,

Hope you all enjoyed the weekend! I got a text from my friend on Sunday telling me that I starred in a crazy dream she had the other night, and I've had a few really weird ones too over the past few weeks. Dreams are really strange things...we get to temporarily enter a world where the rules of reality do not apply, where we interact with people we haven't seen or spoken to in years, or we end up doing some really crazy things that we would never do in real life. Sometimes the things we dream about are completely out of the blue and don't really make any sense....so why do we dream what we dream?

Well, I'm not really sure about the answer to that question, but there are hundreds of "dream interpretation" books and websites out there that claim to have the true meaning behind our sleeping thoughts. Oh, and this is really strange....I Googled "dreams" and went to the first website that was listed and followed a link to their "Dream Dictionary". I randomly selected to look up the meanings behind words starting with "D" and the first listing was: "Daffodil: To see a daffodil in your dream symbolizes renewal, inner growth, optimism, inspiration, and hope. It may signal a new start, a new beginning, or a new project." Hmph, optimism? That was quite ironic. 


Though it would be nice to know the meaning behind all of those dreams we have or to be able to control what we dreamed about would be pretty cool, the crazy situations we end up in and the really random people we encounter while snoozing are always up to our conscience. That's why when I found today's featured quote, it really intrigued me.
If there were dreams were to sell, what would you buy? -Thomas Lovell Beddoes
This is certainly something to think about. Now remember that in dreams, the constraints of reality are thrown out the window. If you wanted to (physically) fly to Alaska and drink pina coladas on the rooftop with Barbara Walters and Derek Jeter while learning to play the trumpet, that wouldn't be such a crazy idea. In a dream, it's possible. I don't think that's exactly the kind of dream I would buy. I mean, no offense to Derek Jeter or anything, but I'd have some more fun stuff in my dream. I think my dream would have to be pretty long to cover all that I can "dream up", but it would definitely take me flying around the world, to the farthest ends of the earth, so I could see all that there is to see. Oh, and I would probably throw George Clooney in there somewhere. Hey, why not?

In my dreams I always find that no matter what kind of crazy situation I was in or what ridiculous things I was doing, there's always a little (itty-bitty) part that touches on reality. Maybe I was dreaming about a place I had been yearning to visit, or a person who had been on my mind the past few days. But no matter what, there's always a little bit of "you" in your dreams. And there's the fun part. If we could go to a store and buy a dream -any dream we wanted- we could let it play out in our minds and find that piece of "us" inside it. From there, it's up to us to go chase that dream and make it a reality. We all want the chance to say, "I'm livin' the dream"...so why not find that piece of our dream that we can reach, and go get it?

So, today's quote really gives us a lot to think about. But if we could really go to a Dreamingdales or something, what kind of dream would you buy?

Keep Smiling,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!