Monday, June 28, 2010

Happiness = Better Blogging? Of Course!

Photo: cuarts.wordpress.com

Hello Optimists,

Hope you had a great weekend! This is the start of an exciting week for me. I have a lot going on right now in preparation for a very exciting event and I'm so excited to embark on a once-in-a-lifetime journey beginning later on this week. So stay tuned...I'll give you more details in the next few days!

This weekend I found a great article from Blogussion- a great "blogging blog" that I use often for tips- called How Being Happy Can Make You a Better Blogger. I'm always looking for ways to improve my blogging, because even though I've been doing this for about 9 months now, I would by no means call myself an expert. Actually, I'm still quite a newbie. As you probably already know, I love to read up on all topics related to happiness, optimism, and self-improvement, so this title immediately caught my eye. I think happiness can do a lot of great things for us, but making us better bloggers? Not really an obvious effect. So I thought I would check it out, and it turned out to be a pretty interesting read. It gives a few good pointers about getting ready to "work" (if that's what you consider your blog), so if you're looking for a few tips on getting motivated to write some new posts, check this article out.

The article posed some really good questions to the readers, like: What do you want your blog to be like in six months or a year? Do you constantly feel eager to start working? Are you happy to blog? I thought it would be fun to answer some of these questions, so I gave it a shot.

It's hard to think about what my blog will be like in a few month's time, but I do know that I have some changes in mind- I want to make it even better for my readers so they can enjoy the posts that I've written and exchange ideas and thoughts with me and other readers of Optimal Optimist. I should move this to the top of my To-Do list...

I usually am eager to sit down and write a new post, though sometimes I feel that writing a new one five times a week can get a bit daunting. What I have noticed is that I think about my blog even when I'm not perched in front of my laptop thinking of my newest topic. Instead, I try to take everything in throughout the day and I often think about how I can relate my every-day experiences to an idea for a post. Sometimes things will happen throughout the day and I find myself thinking of how I would write it in post-form...do any of you other bloggers do this too?

I am happy to blog, and though sometimes I feel as if I can't come up with a good topic to write about, I can say that after completing a post, I am happy with the message that I've sent. When I first started out, I was so concerned with making sure my posts were long enough or had enough engaging material to give my readers something to comment about. But after writing close to 200 posts, I can say that I now know that good content doesn't come with a minimum word count. So now when I'm feeling some "writers' block" coming on, I know that...
It is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart. -John Bunyan
I know now that some of my most heart-felt posts have been the most well-received by my readers, no matter how long they were. And that's probably true for a lot of my blogger friends too! It's not the length of the post that gets a reader's attention, it's the emotion and feeling behind the words. If we just write words without a heart, a reader can pick up on that in an instant. It's amazing how much emotion and feeling can be translated through the simple way we construct our sentences. I'm glad I know that now, and I no longer write just to fill up the page. I know that it would be much better to be "wordless" and write a somewhat shorter post if we can write straight from the heart.

For all of you bloggers and non-bloggers alike, it would definitely be worth it to keep this quote in mind. It's important to remember to keep your heart in everything that you do, because without it, we lose that personal touch on our work.

For any of my fellow Bloggers out there, feel free to share your responses to the questions I posted from the article!

Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that article! I do enjoy blogging, and I just kind of go with the flow :-). I try not to feel pressured to blog a certain number of times a week since I know that wouldn't be good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked that article, Ashley! It's good to just go with the flow and do what is best for you...that's a great way to be sure you're writing with meaning : )

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!