Friday, June 18, 2010

Happy Father's Day Weekend!

Photo: digitalphotographyformoms.net

Hello Optimists,

This Sunday is Father's Day so I thought I would dedicate this post to all of the fathers out there, and especially to my dad. It's kind of interesting to think about how important fathers are in our lives. I'm lucky to have a dad who has been by my side through all of my bumps and bruises, tempter tantrums, accomplishments and failures, big decisions and trials throughout my twenty-some years.

I know I can count on him to come kill that gross-looking bug in my bedroom at night, change the oil in my car, or pick up a baseball and glove and play catch in the back yard. But I also know that I can count on him to give me some advice when I'm feeling a bit lost, to be a good and sincere listener to the things I need to talk about, and to make me laugh even when I'm trying my hardest to hold back a smile. Sure, I may occasionally roll my eyes when he suggests we watch The Three Stooges on TV or not understand why I need to help him every time he wants to "Google" something, but I really am proud to have him as my dad.

It must be tough to have raised two girls... I bet he didn't know much about Barbies or tea parties, or anything about make-up or the need to go shopping for new shoes every week. (And though I am proud to say I no longer play with Barbies or host tea-parties, I must admit that that shoe habit is hard to kick!) Anyway, no matter what "girly" thing was going on in the house, my dad never skipped a beat. He played with us and all of our dolls, made us laugh until we cried (and still does!) and always supported any endeavor my sister and I decided to take on. And there's one more important thing that my dad has always done for me....
My father gave me the greatest gift anyone can ever give another person; he believed in me. -Jim Valvano
Out of all of the things my father has given me, I think this is by far the best thing. I realize how fortunate I am to have both of my parents there to support me, and no matter what, they always believe in me. Knowing that they have my back gives me reassurance when I need it most, and I know that when all else fails and when all others turn their backs, my mom and dad will be there.

On this Father's Day weekend, make sure to tell your dad, or all of those dads you know, how much you appreciate what they've done and how much they're mean to you. I know I certainly will. I hope that my sister and I have and continue to make my dad proud, happy, and most of all, make him feel loved.

Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

  1. NIce post! My Dad passed away a few years ago and before he did he said the thing he wished most is for his kids to come to him more often for advice... I think that is the best gift any Dad can get! It is nice to hear you have that kind of relationship with your father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful, Vanessa. <3

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!