Friday, June 4, 2010

Saying Goodbye to a Golden Girl

Photo: nydailynews.com

Hello Optimists,


Have you heard the sad news about The Golden Girls' Rue McClanahan passing away yesterday? I am a huge fan of The Golden Girls, and I was so upset when I heard the news. Now Betty White is the only one left of that hilarious foursome that has kept us laughing since the 80's- (Estelle Getty passed in 2008, Bea Arthur in 2009, and now Rue in 2010)- but it seems like Betty will be going strong for a while. I just posted about her SNL hosting debut earlier last month in SNL Revival where I also talked a bit about my love for those "Miami girls".


Rue's acting career began in film in the early 60's and she moved on to television in the 70's, but really hit the jackpot when she signed on with The Golden Girls in the 80's. For her role in that series, she was nominated for 4 Emmys (with one win) and 3 Golden Globes...and it led to a long career in the television and film industry. 


I thought for today's post, I would use a quote from Rue herself to honor the great legacy that she has left behind. Though there are thousands of hilarious quotes from her role as Blanche Devereaux, I decided it would be best to use one from the woman herself, not a character, to show just how wonderful of a person she truly was...
Compassion is the foundation of everything positive, everything good. If you carry the power of compassion to the marketplace and the dinner table, you can make your life really count. -Rue McClanahan
Rue was hardly a reflection of her man-eating Southern belle character, Blanche, in real life (even though she did marry 6 times!) and really did live a life of compassion. Aside from acting, she was one of the first celebrity supporters of PETA and has been an animal welfare advocate for many years. She even wrote a letter to John Kerry when he was running for president, letting him know that his pheasant hunting kept her from voting for him!


I think this is a really great quote and we should all keep Rue's words in mind throughout the day. We need to learn to treat others with more compassion, rather than looking down on others or making premature assumptions. Compassion really is the foundation to good and positive ideas, and by incorporating it into our everyday lives, I'm sure we will see a difference. Let's all make our lives really count!


RIP Rue, and "thank you for being a friend" to us all.


Keep Smiling,

1 comment:

  1. I had not heard of her passing until reading this. Thanks for breaking news to me!

    What a great quote! She is definitely an example of a life well lived! She will be missed.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!