Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Shake Things Up with Spontaneity

Photo: findandconvert.com

Hello Optimists,

Sooooo I've decided to paint a wall at my place, and I have already bought the paint. That makes it official, I guess. The idea of making an "accent wall" has been on my mind for a while, though actually making the commitment to doing it hasn't quite made it to the table. Until now!

Yesterday the idea came into mind again, and it first started out as just that...an idea. Then I talked about it a bit and got some other opinions, and then I thought, hey, why not just go look at some swatches? That can't hurt, right? So I found myself driving to Lowe's and pulling a few little squares of color to choose just the right one. (Oh, and for the record, I have no idea why swatches can't come in larger pieces...would it be too hard to get them in at least a 6" square? Those microscopic pieces they use are really like a tease....putting up a little piece of color on the wall you want to paint makes it look like a piece of confetti got lost in the celebration!) Anyway, I chose my color, took that little swatch to the counter and mixed up some paint!

It's kind of fun to do things like that on a whim. Sometimes we just need to spice things up, and the only way to do that is to just think of a little something to change, and do it! I was quite impressed with the rather impromptu decision that was made, and I'm really excited to get started. I remembered a quote I once read about this spontaneity of sorts, so I thought this would be perfect for today's post!
Spontaneity is the quality of being able to do something just because you feel like it at the moment, of trusting your instincts, or taking yourself by surprise and snatching from the clutches of your well-organized routine, a bit of unscheduled plea. 
See, that's why it's so fun! Doing things just because we feel like it is not an freedom we get to enjoy all the time, so when we finally do get the chance to (if I may quote Nike here) just do it, it makes the event even more special. There's no room for second guessing and month-long decision making....the charm with spontaneity is that it's now or never. The best part about all of this is that making quick decisions (even if they are little ones!) show that you trust yourself and your instincts. That's a quality that's so important to have. If you can't trust you or your decisions, then who can? And then there's the part of breaking routine, which is really where the fun begins. Doing things out of the ordinary and breaking the norm are what makes spontaneity so much fun....because let's face it, we all like to live on the edge, or at least, we all like to peer over the edge from a (very) secure steel hand rail. Either way, it's fun to do things just because we want to! So I'm read for the fun to begin...I'm going to grab my painter's tape, overalls and a roller brush, and I'm going for it!

So, are you a spontaneous person? What have you done lately that has broken the boundaries of your "well-organized routine"?

Keep Smiling,

3 comments:

  1. Accent walls are super stunning!!

    xoxo
    bB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a super spontaneous person, but I love the idea of painting an accent wall! I hope it turns out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Were you speaking to me in this blog?! I think I'll take a tip or two away from that about trusting myself and spontaneous decision making (shopping)! Can't wait to see the accent wall!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!