Friday, June 11, 2010

Simply Sophisticated

Photo: historyplace.com

Hello Optimists,


Last night I watched an awesome HBO documentary on a well-known paparazzo, Ron Galella. I had never heard of him before, but watching all the work that he has done throughout the years was really amazing. Mind you, he is now almost 80 years old, and still manages to scour the streets of NYC capturing pictures of celebs. Though he walks a little more slowly these days, this guy has made millions on his photos of some of the most well known names of our time since the 60's. He got his teeth knocked out by Marlon Brando, hid in a warehouse for a whole weekend to snap some pics of Elizabeth Taylor, and had a rather tumultuous relationship while constantly trying to photograph the one and only, Jackie O. 


Most of the documentary centered around the photos he took of the former First Lady- from her time in the White House through the time she got the "O" attached to her name, and finally to the time of her death in 1994. Pictures of this woman have always been so captivating in my eyes and it was truly amazing to see all of the gorgeous photos Mr. Galella had taken of her over the years. As always, her sophisticated yet effortless style was reflected in each of the photos that were featured on the documentary, and I couldn't help but admire her even more. 


I will admit that my shopping decisions are often made by determining if an outfit is "Jackie O. or not" and I feel a lot of women would agree with me on this one. She was a true fashion icon whose style has obviously lasted the test of time. As I watched the many images of her flash across the screen, I tried to nab down exactly what it was about her style that kept her fashions making headlines to this day. What was it that always made her seem so put together, modern and sophisticated? After about 50 or so of her photos were shown, I still couldn't pick out exactly what I was looking for, but I did remember a quote that I think hits the nail on the head...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. -Leonardo da Vinci
And there it is. Simplicity. That's what made her look fabulous no matter what she was wearing, what she was doing, or who she was with. She never really made a fashion faux pas because her look was always clean and simple. Elegant details adorned sleek lines in an effortlessly stylish ensemble in just the right fit. At the root of her sophistication was the simplicity of her fashion sense.


I think there could probably be no one better to speak this quote that da Vinci. He was a creative master whose pieces, like Jackie's, are beautiful and timeless. And I think his words can carry through the visual arts of painting, sculpture and fashion, and into our every day lives. We'd all like to think we're sophisticated (even those who claim otherwise), but often, in an attempt at sophistication, we overshoot. Sophistication should come with ease...if not, we're trying too hard and are sure to miss the mark. I think we should take a lesson from two true masters of their craft, and realize that simplicity in our lives is what will make the biggest statement. Meanwhile, I'll be shopping for the perfect "Jackie O." trench coat....


Keep Smiling,







P.S. I must send a shout-out to my blogger friend, Kathy over at Everyday Bliss , who is celebrating her 300th post mark and has been awarded the "I Blog with Substance" award....and was nice enough to pass it along to me!! Thanks, Kathy! You all should go check out her latest post!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!