Monday, June 14, 2010

Take A Bite Out Of Life

Photo: kitchenparade.com

Hello Optimists,


Hope you had a great weekend! I just got done with a baking marathon...or more like a decathlon. I, along with the best cook/baker I know, just completed Round 2 of a weekend baking spree. In total, 6 delicious different kinds of muffins were made...and of course, I taste-tested them all. Hey, someone's gotta do it! Oh, they were so so so good! But I think I ate too much, as now I don't feel like eating again for a week. 


My baking buddy and I had so much fun whipping up new concoctions and trying different ingredients, and though it may seem like a lot of work, it really wasn't that bad. I know a lot of people that love to cook and bake, and I also know a lot of people that absolutely despise it. Personally, I fall somewhere in between. Recently I've been getting into trying out new recipes and experimenting a little bit on my own, and I've found out that I really am starting to like it...and I'm not too shabby if I may say so myself! I often find that if I'm cooking with a friend or family, or even myself, there's something about it that's really comforting. And after taking the time to mix up the ingredients and prepare it ever so carefully, there's nothing I like better than to relax and enjoy the meal- no rush to finish up, no eating over the sink or grabbing a bite on the way out the door. Eating in a peaceful setting allows everyone to savor the flavors of the meal, to pick out each individual ingredient, and to truly appreciate the preparation. 


Today's featured quote really brings the idea I'm thinking about to light, so I thought it would be perfect to share for today's post.
A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety. -Aesop
This is one to write down because it's so important for us to remember. It's not quantity, but quality we should be after. We can get so much more out of something we can truly relish in, something that we can appreciate and heartily acknowledge, than from many things that we take in haste. When we are rushed, preoccupied, anxious, or overwhelmed, it's too hard to concentrate on the things at hand or to appreciate the taste and aroma of life. Instead, we need to slow down and find the peace in even the smallest things in our lives. From there we can learn to take a bite out of life and get a taste of all the little things that make it so great. 


So while that buffet might be calling your name, remember that you first must find the peace in your life before you can appreciate the flavor overload that all of that food has to offer. Start with some small dishes and savor each morsel's flavor before moving on to the Man v. Food challenges. 


Keep Smiling,

1 comment:

  1. Nice post :-). I personally struggle with mindful eating since I am a huge multi-tasker and am often checking e-mail or reading the paper while I eat. I have been trying to "slow down" though and have been starting to eat at least one meal a day without distractions - it's much more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!