Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Come Fly With Me...To Amsterdam!

Photo: estravel.ee

Hello Optimists,

Welcome to Come Fly With Me Week! I am soooo excited to share some words of wisdom from my travels with you, and I hope you enjoy the ride! My plans for the next two weeks are to stay true to the ideals of Optimal Optimist while sharing some of my travel stories with you. To do that, I will include a little proverb or quote from each of the countries I'll be visiting (in both the native language and in English!) along with a little bit of info about each place. I hope you enjoy it!

The first stop on my European journey is in Amsterdam. After a long flight from Philadelphia to London and from London to Amsterdam, I am looking forward to finally beginning this wonderful trip! I find it funny that whenever I mention that I'm going to be stopping in this city for a few days, I always get the same response: "Ohhhh, Amsterdam, I hear ya gotta watch out for that place. It's a little crazy there." Okay, I am well aware of the extreme liberal laws (if you can even called them that) concerning drug use, and I know of the iconic red-light district that seems to characterize the city. This is obviously not the reason I'm here. But I've done a bit of research on it and I have found that there is a lot more that Amsterdam has to offer besides "special" brownies and legal prostitution. And I found that despite what we hear about this city, Amsterdam is one of the cleanest and safest cities in Europe!

Now while I will admit that this city wasn't always on my list of places to see before I die, I am very excited to be visiting. Not only is Amsterdam the capital and largest city of The Netherlands, it has a rich history, great art and architecture, and beautifully scenic canals. I turned to the official website to look up some fun places to eat, shop and play while I'm here, and I have a pretty long list of things to do!

I always like to learn a bit about the culture of the people living in the places where I'll be visiting, and I was happy to find that the Dutch are characterized as hard-working people who value the "live and let live" attitude and always look on the bright side. Now that's what I like to hear.  I think I can really end up liking this place...

Here is a great little Dutch proverb that I found that I thought would be perfect to feature for this post. The Dutch people value a lot of great attributes and have a real zest for life. Here's one thing that's so important to keep in mind in order to keep that optimistic attitude alive...
 Een handvol van geduld is waard meer dan een bushel van breinen.
A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains.
I think Americans especially need to write this little quote down and carry it with them in their pockets. Patience is such an important virtue to have, and unfortunately,  not many people practice it. Without patience, not much can be accomplished, so we've got to remember to keep a calm composure and a bit of a higher tolerance for others around us. There's nothing wrong with carrying a little bit more patience with you as you go through your day, and after a bit of practice, it will definitely leave you feeling refreshed, happy, and a bit more optimistic.

Yay for the start of this amazing journey and I'm so excited to be taking you along with me! Check back in 2 days for the next of the Come Fly With Me Week posts...and here's a little hint: we can thank this next country for one of our most famous and iconic landmarks.

Don't forget, I want to read your favorite quotes! Learn how to submit them to be featured in a future Optimal Optimist post here.

Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

  1. With that hint I have to guess France!

    What a great trip you are on! Amsterdam is a great city. I spent two days there once and got lost on the canals and enjoyed several fabulous meals.... It was fantastic. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your tales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. George Bernard Shaw

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!