Thursday, July 15, 2010

Come Fly With Me...To Greece!

Photo: theodora.com

Hello Optimists,

The last stop in my European journey takes me to beautiful and ancient Greece, a land of great mystery, myths, art, war, and history. I have studied a lot about the ancient Greek culture and architecture, so I am so excited to finally be able to see in person all of that which I had only seen in textbooks. Not to mention that My Big Fat Greek Wedding is just about my favorite movie of all time...so that pretty much puts the icing on the cake.

There's a particular part of the movie that is quoted quite often by my sister and me, where the Greek father says, "Give me a word, any word, and I'll show you that the root of that word is Greek." And though his rooted translation was not always entirely accurate, the Greeks honestly do have some clout when it comes to their ancient influences. They are very proud of their culture and are known to speak passionately about their country. The Greek language has spanned some 3000 years and had deep and direct influences on many Romance languages and even on Latin.

Some travel to see the beautiful scenery of Santorini, while others go to the ancient ruins in Athens. Some, on the other hand, go to Delphi to see the oracle where Apollo supposedly spoke to the gods. In ancient times, people came by the thousands to have the chance to ask questions of the gods- everything from when an empire should declare war to the perfect time to plant crops. I found today's quote and thought that it would be something to come straight from the oracle, a little piece of advice that seems too wise to come from any other mouth than the gods'.
ευτυχία δεν έγκειται στις περιουσίες και όχι σε χρυσό, η κοπή της ευτυχίας υποστηρίζει στην ψυχή
Happiness resides not in possessions and not in gold, the feeling of happiness dwells in the soul.  
Can't you imagine that coming from the oracle? I think even the Greeks, who take such pride in detail, perfect form and embellishments, would agree on this one. Putting all marble and gold aside, the Greeks know that happiness comes from within. It is forever embedded in the soul, but sometimes it takes a bit of work to get it out. This is really a great quote, and one that we should all keep in mind. Our search for happiness need not go much further than in our own souls...I think we would be surprised at how much is in there if we just took the time to find it.

It is with great sadness that I bring Come Fly With Me Week to a close, but I do hope you enjoyed reading about some of the places I visited. I will be sure to post some pictures from my journey when I return to the U.S. so I can share even more stories and experiences with you!

Don't forget, I'm still collecting your favorite quotes for my future posts! Find out how to submit them here.

Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

  1. I would love love love to go to Greece. As a world history and an art history teacher, it is one of my favorite areas and eras to teach.

    I love the quote - and so true!

    Cheers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the matter of style, swim with the current, in the matter of principle, stand like a rock.
    Thomas Jefferson

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!