Monday, July 26, 2010

Know Who You Are, Know What You Want

Photo: geekologie.com

Hello Optimists,

Hope you had a wonderful weekend! I know that I've been slacking a little bit with my blog since I returned from my trip, and it's not that I've been deliberately putting it off, I've just been enjoying the time I've had to unwind, relax, and share all of my fun stories with my family and friends. Yesterday I had the itch to start blogging again, and I figured that this week would be a good time to start it up again

While I was away I opened up the floor to anyone and everyone out there who reads my blog to send in some favorite quotes. When I got home, I was so so so happy to see a whole bunch of comments with some really great lines that would be perfect to feature in my posts! So thank you to everyone who has submitted a quote....feel free to keep sending them in!

The first one I got was from Krystal over at Krystal's Kitsch . The quote she submitted is a really great one from the movie Lost in Translation. I find that movies often have some of the greatest "one-liners" and quotes that really have an impact on us days, months, and even years after we leave the theatre. Krystal says this quote has been following her around for some time now, and I can see why....it's a really powerful statement.
Charlotte: I just don't know what I'm supposed to be.
Bob: You'll figure that out. The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you. 
This is such a great line. We are constantly faced with that struggle to find ourselves, to find our place in this world, and sometimes (or more like a lot of times) we feel a little bit lost in our search. I often think the exact same thing: "I just don't know what I'm supposed to be". I think we've all felt this way at some point. But the real piece of advice that comes in the next line in the movie is really important for us to keep in mind. No matter what's going on around us, or how much we feel lost in the world, we have to always be aware of who we are and what we want in life. It's pretty easy to think that we know who we are or what we want, but do we really? Are we sure that we are who we are because we wanted it that way...not our parents, friends, or bosses? Do we want what we want because it's really what we want...or is that somehow influenced by society or even the "keeping up with the Jones'" complex? It's pretty tough these days to be that honest with yourself and be willing to take the time to assess what needs to be done in your life. Some may think it's a bit selfish to take some time out to revamp your own life; I, on the other hand, think we need it. It's so important, and as long as we keep on the path toward finding our true selves, I think we'll find the answers we've been looking for.

So thanks, Krystal, for offering up such a great quote! That's my challenge for today: let's all get one step closer to knowing who we are and what we want in life. It's not an easy task, but it's certainly one we all need to take on. I'm working on it...are you?

Keep Smiling,

1 comment:

  1. Still don't know what I want..after 54 years...the best way to live life is to live it in the moment. Take it as it comes and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!