Friday, July 30, 2010

Last Words and Fears

Photo: cnn.com

Hello Optimists,

Happy Friday! Ah, the weekend is upon us again...what a wonderful feeling!

Last night I was just browsing through some headlines and came across a slideshow of "Famous People's Last Words" and was immediately intrigued. I don't really know why- it is sort of a morbid thing to be interested in, but I thought I might get a chance to read some good quotes from some of the most well-known names of our time. Plus, last words are...well, the absolute last thing we will ever have on record from past presidents of the United States, actors and actresses, princesses, world leaders, etc. Their words undoubtedly mean something to all of us. While last words usually do not reveal centuries old secrets, cures for diseases, or words to unlock the mysteries of life, they do sometimes offer great wisdom and advice.

I don't really like thinking about any of our "lasts" because for me, death is a scary thing. I mean, I don't really know anyone who is welcoming it, but some can deal with it better than others. I think it's just the fear of the unknown...what is it like, when will it be, how will it feel? We don't really know the answers to any of those things until it happens, and then, well, it's a little too late to tell your friends about. I don't like to think about a life coming to an end- whether it be a person, a cat, a tree or a goldfish. It's just... sad.

So after clicking through all 33 of the featured "last words" of the slideshow, I thought it might be fun to look through my list of quotes and see which ones I thought would be good to have as the "last". I came across a bunch of good ones, but there was one that really stood out from the crowd. It's not necessarily the best of the lasts, but it is one that reminded me that our biggest fear shouldn't be the end of our life...
Fear not that life shall come to an end, but rather fear that it shall never have a beginning. -John Henry Cardinal Newman
This is a really great quote, isn't it? We can't be scared of the inevitable. But if we are to have a fear, it should instead be that we've missed the opportunity to really live. We've got to give life a good beginning, a jump start to the rest of the years that we are given the chance to live it up.

So while I still think that death is a scary thing, I guess I can see now why we shouldn't really fear it. I'm going to concentrate on making all of my years count....I think I've already given it a good start, and now it's time to make sure I keep the ball rolling. I hope you can take something from this quote as well and I hope it inspires you to live your life to its fullest.

Keep Smiling,

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Great Post! I used to think that death was just the next big adventure but as I get closer I find I am less eager for checking it out! We will all be forced one day but until then I really do hope my living has much more then a beginning!!

    (P.S. You are going to be in a mini feature on my blog on Sunday... hope you like!)

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!