Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Spoiled with Desire

Photo: jerryriley.com

Hello Optimists,

Yesterday we had absolutely beautiful weather here in PA so I went out on a bike ride to try to enjoy as much of it as I could. It was a really relaxing ride; I was warmed from the sun's rays and cooled by the gentle breeze that would blow through at just the right moment. I was really enjoying my ride and as I peddled along, all I could think about was how much I would love to have this weather year round. I shudder to think of the cold days in the seasons ahead, so I tried to stay focused on the beauty of the present weather. After all, summer is my favorite, so that wasn't too hard to do.

I have found sometimes people have a hard time really living in the moment and appreciating the good things that are a part of their life because they're too focused on what might go wrong in the future. Some can't really appreciate the things that they have because they're always looking for something better, something greater than the things they have already worked so hard to get. I have found that since I have been writing this blog, I have been more appreciative of even the smallest things in my life, and because of that, I can really enjoy every moment I'm awake. So yesterday, instead of thinking of (and dreading) the cold weather that is to come, I chose to soak up every moment of the sunshine.

I'm totally loving sharing these reader-submitted quotes (and I hope you are liking them too) and the next one in line fit in perfectly with this whole idea of appreciating the present moment. I'm really excited to share this quote- it is one I will definitely be putting in my "favorites" list. Thanks to my friend Ashley over at Food, Fotos, and Fun! for submitting such a great quote! 
Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for. -Epicurus 
See, I told you this was a great one! Ashley said she loves this quote because "it reminds us to live in the moment and be thankful for what we have. I know that I sometimes find myself working towards one goal and then immediately tackling another as soon as I've achieved the first. This quote reminds me to stop and relish what I've already accomplished." Well said, girl, well said. I couldn't agree more! 

I hope that you all take this one to heart and keep it in mind whenever you're feeling like your "want" list is continually growing. While we may not always feel that we have the best of everything or that we may never get the things we've always wanted, we can't let that cloud our view of the things we already do have. It's easy to get caught up in always pushing for bigger and better things, but we should take a moment to stop and appreciate the things we have at hand.

Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for featuring my quote! I really do love it, and I love how you incorporated it into your post. Keep up your wonderful writing :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very stressed out about work this week, so I started counting the 'plus' sides instead of the negative. Your post reminded me of jobs that were not as flexible and were more stressful. Grass isn't always greener... is so true!

    Thank you for the reminder!!
    Hugs,
    Coreen

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!