Monday, August 30, 2010

Loving Life

Hello Optimists,

I must say that this past weekend was a really great one. With the weather forecast showing only sunny skies and warm but not-to-hot temperatures, I was eagerly planning some fun outdoors. So, my roommate and I decided to take a bike ride down to Kelly Drive and pedal toward the city. We took off early in the morning so it wasn't too crowded and started what would be an incredibly enjoyable ride.

With a light breeze blowing in our direction and the sun shining down from above, we pedaled with ease. The ride down Kelly Drive toward the city is a beautiful one; the winding paths along the river take you under about 5 bridges and steer you into incredible views of the Philadelphia skyline. With others running, biking, rollerblading, and rowing all around you, there's a welcoming feeling of community between everyone sharing in the beauty. I felt incredibly happy as I rode down the path, and hoping that my roommate was sharing this feeling, I leaned back and asked, "Are you loving life right now? 'Cuz I certainly am!" and, just as I had hoped, she responded, "Ohh yeah, this is great!".

We headed about 5 miles down the road until we reached our first landmark, the Philadelphia Museum of Art. After locking up our bikes we joined the others in a little fitness class...aka, running up and down the stairs of the museum until we were well out of breath. Here's what we faced; a mountain of stairs, happily mocking our attempt at climbing them:


But we made it, and when we reached the top, I paid homage to my boy, Rocky....





And we had an awesome view: 



We stayed out for a few hours, taking in every wonderful minute of that gorgeous day. We had so much fun that we did it again for the next two mornings, and enjoyed ourselves even more. Thinking back on this weekend, I can see why we were so happy. We created great memories and were really loving life after treating ourselves to a simple thing that made us so happy. I found the perfect quote for this story and I'm so excited to share it with you.
One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats. -Iris Murdoch  
I will say from personal experience that this quote is absolutely true. Small things make a big difference, so if you can find a few little things that make you smile, that awaken your senses, and that make you love life, then you've uncovered a little secret and should make those things a part of your life as often as you can. Enjoy those moments in life, and try to make room for them whenever possible.

When was the last time you were loving life? I'd love to hear about your stories too!

Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

  1. A fun cycle ride and I like that quote but I think you need to add the 'h' to Iris Murdoch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You ! You have inspired me to love life everyday with your Optimism! It looks like you had a great day in Philadelphia, maybe you can invite others to meet for the early morning ride and you all can "CARPE DIEM". Love Life cause it's the only ONE you get!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!