Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Quick Conversation

Photo: guardian.co.uk

Hello Optimists,

Have you ever passed by people on the sidewalk, in a store, or in a hallway and happen to hear a piece of their conversation? This happens to me a lot, but I often find that I pass by at the most random moments of their dialogue, hearing pieces of a story or a conversation that I really wish I hadn't. But this weekend, I happened to pass by a man on the sidewalk and heard just a few seconds of what he was saying... but it was enough to make me smile.

As I was approaching, I saw him there, standing alone at the end of a driveway, talking away....to whom I had no idea, and was almost sure he just might be talking to himself. I got a bit closer, and was just about to pass him by, when to my relief, I saw he had a little Blue Tooth earpiece in, so he was in fact talking to someone other than his imaginary friend. But here's the best part. As I passed him on my bike, I caught just about 3 or 4 seconds of his conversation, which went something like this: "I'll just need to work my way up into a better position, that's all. And I know I'll get -  I know I'm destined for it. So I'm not even sweatin' that."

As I rode away, I was so inspired by his optimism. Of course, I have no idea what the real story was behind that little excerpt, but it didn't matter. What was important was that he had the confidence and the determination needed to overcome (what seemed to be) an obstacle and strive for the best. This situation could not have fit the mold more perfectly for today's featured quote, and I'm so happy that I have this one to share with you.
Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be. 
This is something we should remind ourselves of from time to time, because we often define success in other, more superficial, ways. If you have all three of these things- courage, determination, and will- then you will certainly be successful at whatever goal you're trying to achieve. It's hard to think of success if you don't come out on top with a gold medal around your neck, but we need to realize that sometimes just believing we can do the things we want to do and not stopping until we reach our goals is success in itself.

I know I will be keeping this quote in mind and constantly reminding myself that through some hard work, determination, and optimism, I will become the person I believe I am meant to be. And I hope you can too. So thanks to that Blue Tooth-wearing guy out by his driveway who reminded me to stay positive!

Keep Smiling,

3 comments:

  1. your blog is fantastic:)
    LOve it
    xoxo
    bB

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOK forward to your post everyday!!!!!! It's great and today's in no exception!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks for the great compliments! I really do appreciate it. :D

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!