Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Shark Week

Photo: sidereel.com

Hello Optimists,

Shark Week on the Discovery Channel has turned out to be my most recent (and enjoyable!) form of procrastination. It's pretty sad, but that series just hooks me right in. Thank goodness it only lasts for a week, and then maybe I can get something accomplished.

I don't know if you're a fan, but I can't remember a time when I wasn't extremely excited to watch these shows. When I was little, I was completely convinced I wanted to be a marine biologist, so I'd incessantly watch the Discovery Channel like it was the only station on television. I used to like bugs and frogs and all kinds of gross little creatures. And then one day, all of that changed, and now I really, really don't like creepy crawly things. Sharks, though, are still on my good list, so my fascination with them hasn't really waned.

They're pretty mysterious creatures; they can be beautiful and elegant and at the same time, take off one of your limbs with one little chomp. These "predators of the deep" are ancient animals, dating back to the time of the dinosaurs...pretty cool. But what's also really cool about them is that they're natural born hunters. They know what they want, and they go get it.

Because I've watched a million episodes about sharks, I know that they can sense the sounds and smells of their prey from miles away, and will travel long distances to reach their target. They can swim in the deep, dark water or are just as happy to cruise along the shallow shores. And when they spot a poor little seal pup swimming alone in the water, they go get it. I thought about sharks when I read today's quote, so I thought it would only be appropriate to feature it during Shark Week.
If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it. 
That's the thing about sharks: they don't wait for their ship to come in. There's no waiting around or wishing and hoping that it will anchor at their chosen spot. No, not in a shark's world. They bring themselves to the ship. That's why they're such fierce predators and that's why they get what they want.

It seems pretty simple, right? So why aren't we all like sharks? Well, first of all, our orthodontist makes sure we only have one row of teeth after the age of 12. But aside from that, why does it seem that we wait around for good things to come to us instead of taking ourselves to the good things? I love this quote because it's so simple, yet I have to constantly remind myself to get up and go do or get what I want. I know I can't just be waiting around here for good things to come my way...I've got to make it happen. I hope that you can keep this little quote in the back of your mind and use it as a little burst of inspiration when you need it most- when you're feeling like just kicking back and waiting for something good to come your way or when you need to gather up the courage to realize your dreams.

So I'm ready now to get going and swim out to my ship. Well, right after this episode of Shark Week is over...


Keep Smiling,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!