Thursday, August 26, 2010

Stand Like A Rock

Photo: oasisdesign.net

Hello Optimists,

I have one more reader-submitted quote (so that means I need more!) and I thought it would be perfect to use for today. After reading an article called How to Revamp Your Style From Head to Toe I started thinking about how many trends we see come and go each year. I will say that I really do love fashion, so I can't complain about the constant change in style from one season to another. But I do remember when the skinny jeans debuted, I thought they were a horrid remake of 80's style denim...now that's all everyone wears, myself included. Just a few years ago bell-bottoms made a comeback (but just for a short while, thank goodness). We're heading back to the hippie/bohemian style now too, complete with gauze fabrics and embroidered details which my mom absolutely loves...and I absolutely don't. But I know that just like any other trend, this too will fade into the dark dark abyss of this fashion frenzied world.

It makes no sense to get a whole new wardrobe each time a new trend comes out, and we all know that, but we've got to at least go with the flow of things and buy a piece or two if it appeals to us. If Armani says the new color this fall is brown, you might want to pick up a few brown pieces or accessories next time you're out. But doing things this way doesn't work for everything in life....
In the matter of style, swim with the current. In the matter of principle, stand like a rock. -Thomas Jefferson
This awesome quote was posted anonymously in a comment after one of my posts- so thank you to whomever it was!!  This is such a great quote and it's definitely true. Sometimes it's good to just go with the flow...like with style, for instance. Other times, and especially when it comes to our principles, we need to stand our ground. We can't let our beliefs about values and ideals change just because a lot of other people start changing theirs. This is a great way to make sure we know who we are as individuals. We will know what we stand for and why we stand for it, and others will know it too. They will respect our opinion and look up to that strength more than they would if we changed our ideals as much as we changed our wardrobe.

It's cool to be flexible with most things in life, but remember that when it comes to your principles, don't budge. Stand your ground.

Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

  1. Excellent quote and an awesome picture to go along with it.

    Thanks for stopping by our blog to visit us today! =)

    Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!