Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Stuck in a Rut...But Not Really.

Photo: losethattyre.co.uk

Hello Optimists,

Just the other day I stumbled across an article called "The Upside to Being in a Rut", so naturally, I had to read it. Being in a rut really stinks so I was curious to find out what "upside" there could be to it. As I was reading, I was totally loving the optimistic spin this author put on being in a rut, and at the end I thought, "Huh, well that's so true!". You can find the article here - I would suggest reading this little optimistic post for yourself, but the basic idea was that being in a rut only means that you're ready for something new and you're on the verge of your next big change.

Cool, huh? I guess I never really looked at it that way, but I think it's true. Usually whenever we find ourselves in a rut, we feel like all of our options have been exhausted, there's no one or no where to turn to-  basically like we're trying to climb an ice covered hill in the rain. But if you stop and think about it, isn't there always something new that comes into our life that sweeps us up out of that rut and places us on a new path? Sure, it may take a while and sometimes we may not even notice it, but we always end up finding some way to get out of that terrible rut.

After thinking a bit more about this whole idea, I remembered a great quote that would fit perfectly with this idea, and even better, it's from one of my favorite people.
One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself. -Lucille Ball
And I thought Lucy was just good at making us laugh...seems she's got a few good words of wisdom to share with us too. That second line really sticks out- Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself....hmm, seems like just the thing that can get us out of a rut. And it's just the thing that can lead us into our next big adventure, that new spark that always seems to pop up at just the right moment.

This is a great quote, and one we should definitely keep in mind. Take a look at that article I read about "The Upside of Being in a Rut" and let me know what you think. Do you agree with what this author had to say? How do you get yourself out of a rut?


Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!