Monday, September 20, 2010

Pounding Pavement

Hello Optimists,

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. Mine was filled with fun and inspiration and ended with a bang after watching the ING Rock n Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon.

My roommate and I headed out on our normal bike route toward the city yesterday morning but were stopped a little short when we came upon the scene of the race. At first we were a little bummed that our route was closed off due to the race, but after parking our bikes on the sidelines and taking a few minutes to  witness such a great event, I realized that this wasn't so bad after all.

With hundreds of runners streaming by and even more fans on the sidelines cheering them on, I couldn't even keep my goosebumps down. I was totally inspired. A mom ran by and high-fived her kids who were cheering, "Go, Mommy! Gooo!!" while their dad video taped the event. A runner strutted by in her tu-tu and plastic crown, celebrating her birthday, while an older, white-haired runner passed her out with ease. A man juggled 4 apples while running to keep the crowd cheering, and a woman runs out into the middle of the race to give her friend a big hug and support her journey.

We waited around until the big groups of runners had passed and the walkers began to stroll by. Still determined to finish, they walked by proudly and thanked us for sticking around and cheering them on. They were tired, they were sweaty, and they still had a long way to go, but they were determined to finish.

After all of the participants had passed, my friend and I started our ride again and headed down to see all of the action at the finish line near the Museum of Art. We rode by live bands playing near the street (it was a "Rock n Roll" race after all!) and followed the sounds of the crowds to the end of the 13.1 mile route where everyone was celebrating their awesome accomplishment. I was happy to join in, even though I'm not sure if I even knew anyone racing. But there was something about that huge group of people coming together to pound the pavement and reach an incredible goal that made me want to be a part of it.

Thinking back on all of the fun at the race,  I remembered a great quote I once read that I thought would be perfect to feature in today's post. Speaking of running and challenges...
I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet. -Nadia Comaneci
I just love this one. Fear is a crazy thing, and it has the ability to really hold us back. But we've got to keep this quote in mind next time we're feeling a little bit scared. Remember that the challenges put in front of us are never too big to overcome- we can't be afraid of taking it on or of failing...we've just got to go for it and leave our fear in the dust behind us.

I thought you might like to see some photos that I took from the race...so here you go!

Remember that guy that was juggling apples as he ran a 5K? Here he is!

Runners celebrate their accomplishment at the top of the stairs of the Museum!

Runners, fans and supporters gather on the lawn on the Parkway for some post-race fun!

Have you ever run a 5/10K or supported someone who did? I'd love to hear about your experiences too! 

Keep Smiling,

1 comment:

  1. What an event to witness! Thanks for sharing the pics too!

    I have run a few 5k's, but I would love to do a half-marathon someday. The energy at such events, regardless of the distance is always so positive :-).

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!