Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Sneaky Little Thing

Photo: heartofaleader.net

Hello Optimists,

Yesterday optimism came to me in the most unexpected of places. Of the three courses that fill up my day, all three of them mentioned "optimism" during the lesson. Ok, not really a big deal right? Well, how about if I told you that the names of these classes are Operations Management, Financial Management, and Contemporary Perspectives? Not really a place you'd expect to hear about optimism...

Bright and early in my 8 a.m. class, struggling to keep my eyes open, I hear a word that perks me up. I was jolted back to reality when we started discussing decision theories...one of them being the "Maximax" or Optimist theory. As soon as the words came from my professor's mouth, I instantly woke up. Optimist? Is that what he just said? Yes, in fact, that was what he said. And as the lesson continued, I kept hearing the word over and over again and I couldn't help but chuckle a little bit....it certainly was another sign.

Then, 2 hours later, I mosey my way into another classroom, this time for Financial Management. Not exactly the most exciting course of the semester, but one I must take nonetheless. Somewhere in the discussion about financial assets, I hear it yet again: Optimism. I look up from my notes and to the projection screen, brought back into a perfectly clear reality, and there it was in large print. Well that's funny, because I once wrote a post called How Optimism Can Fix the Recession, touching on the very same idea. 


Now fast forward to my next class, a capstone course that discusses global issues and perspectives. I'm reading through the text about a well-known economist named Jeffrey Sachs, to whom the authors refer as "a great optimist". Seriously? Again with the optimism? Well hey, at least it's making me pay attention more in class....that certainly can't hurt. 


But of course I loved every minute of it, and I'm finding that optimism has made it's way into nearly every aspect my life and continues to pop up in the most unexpected of places. It's a sneaky little thing. It's a true testament that if you commit yourself to something and stand firm in your beliefs, that thing or idea will surely become an important part of your life. I remembered a great quote that puts this whole idea into words just a little better than I can, so it's with great pleasure that I share today's featured quote with you...
What you believe has more power than what you dream or wish or hope for. You become what you believe. -Oprah Winfrey
This is absolutely true. You do become what you believe. I believe in optimism and positive thinking and I can now see that every day I'm becoming more of an (optimal) optimist, and that I'm thinking more positively. Belief in something holds a lot of power, so if we can work on strengthening our beliefs in the things we hold as the most important in our lives, we can be sure that we will embody those traits, ideas, and lifestyles.

What's one thing you believe in that plays an important role in your life? Do you agree that you become what you believe?

Keep Smiling,

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely, feel sad and you soon sink into depression, smile and you soon feel happy again. It does take work to stay optimistic though.
    Thanks for your kind words about my top ten listing for 'News From Italy'

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!