Thursday, September 9, 2010

Stand Together

Photo: karlsblog.com

Hello Optimists,

Oh boy, have I been busy lately! My schedule keeps filling up and I suddenly find that I have no time to spare (or no time to blog!). But just because I'm busy doesn't mean that I have been ignoring the positive signs around me. If you've been following my posts for the past few weeks, you know that signs of positivity have been surrounding me every place I go. And today was no exception.

I live a few blocks away from my university's campus, so I've been riding my bike through town to get to my classes. I am determined to do this for as long as the weather holds out, until my knuckles freeze on my handlebars, or until there is (dare I say it!?) snow on the ground.

A shortcut to campus takes me through a neighboring Charter School's property, which for the past three weeks that I've been going to classes, has looked more like a deserted ghost town than a school. But alas, today the children returned, and their campus was buzzing once again. As I rode through my shortcut route, I was thinking that this would probably be one of the last times I could take this route while school was in session, as the risk of hitting a little kid with my bike is just too scary to think about. Nearing the exit of the property, I noticed that there were banner flags hanging from the lampposts lining the street. These new welcoming decor were a nice little addition to the otherwise bland road, and as I glanced up at them, I noticed that they all had quotes on them. Huh, imagine that. 


So it should be no surprise that today's featured quote is one that I found on the banner flags on my way to campus....it's a great one though, and I'm excited to share it with you.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. -Martin Luther King, Jr.
We can always turn to MLK when we're looking for a great quote, so it's no surprise that this is a great one. And especially when we're looking for a great quote about justice and equality, MLK is the first person to turn to. He speaks his words loudly, clearly, and with intent for all those listening to not only hear the words, but feel them too. That's what makes his speeches so great. He wants us to live the words.

Well these words are definitely ones we should be living. We need to stand up to injustices and help abolish them from anywhere and everywhere that we see them. Take these words to heart and try to keep them in mind each and every day. If everyone does this, we will see that we can all stand together as one.

Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

  1. I am bemused by the fact that there is so much injustice around the world and yet the United States is most often criticised for its injustice. What are those critics thinking? The U.S. is one of the most just nations in the world--almost to a fault--and yet the smallest hint of what some wacko perceives as an injustice is blown into such extremes as to make the U.S. appear as an oppressive and unjust society. I don't get it.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, Lee. I find that there are many critics out there who are overly critical of many of the things going on in the U.S.- I guess it just goes to show that there's a lot of work to be done to fight for world peace!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!