Thursday, September 30, 2010

Who's Worth Following?

Photo: curtin.edu.au

Hello Optimists,

Last night I attended an online webinar hosted by an awesome career resource site, Careerealism.com. Of course, this was strictly business, so I expected nothing else than to get some great career information out of this hour-long seminar. Well, I got that, and more.

I expected to be jotting down some notes about getting ahead in the industry, how to stand out from the crowd and write a killer resume, but I never expected to pick up some great advice for my blog here on Optimal Optimist. I guess it just goes to show that you should always be ready and open to the positive signs in your life, no matter where they come from.

In only the first five minutes of the webinar, I had already written down a few quotes from the woman leading the session, and I was pleasantly surprised at how profound they were. Sure, they related to careers, but more importantly, they related to every day life. So after scribbling down a few good lines, I knew I had some awesome stuff to share with you here today.

Here is one line that I found to be incredibly inspiring, and I hope you do too...
If you want to be a leader, you have to be worth following." -Emily Bennington
So true! Leadership is one of the top skills that employers seek in their job applicants, along with admissions counselors to college, and teammates on a sports team. It's one of those qualities that you just need to have because it comes in handy no matter what your job or role in an activity will be. And I think it's safe to say that we all want to be leaders, or at least, we'd all like to be leaders. This doesn't necessarily mean we have to be the loud one out in front of the group, directing with crazy hand motions and taking complete control. That's one way. But we can also lead by example. We can lead without saying any words at all.

But let's get the first things first here. Anyone can say they want to be a leader, but if no one is willing to follow, then they're really not leading anyone at all. So make sure that if you seek a role as a leader, you do, say, or display things and qualities that are worth following. Some of the greatest leaders of our time (think Gandhi, some U.S. Presidents, Martin Luther King, Jr...) all were recognized as leaders because they inspired people to follow in their direction, to make a positive change, and commit to something they believed in. They were all definitely worth following. And we can all be too.

Sometimes little messages make their way into our lives in the most unexpected of places, but we have to make sure that we're always ready to hear them. I am so glad I attended this webinar, not only because I got a lot of great career-related tips, but also because of this one inspiring sentence that I was lucky enough to hear. Keep it in mind, and start leading!

Keep Smiling,

1 comment:

  1. You're so right that hidden messages in the places we go and even the things we read (like in newspapers and magazines) can help shed a new light for us a midst a rainy day.

    - Vanessa
    http://theweeklyyogi.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!