Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Leaders Report to "Conference Room B"

Photo: Google

Hello Optimists,

I followed a link from Twitter about a book review for "Bury My Heart at Conference Room B" by Stan Slap yesterday, and thanks to the reviewer, I had the chance to read a quote from one chapter that I just loved.

Now when I first read the title of this book, I wasn't quite sure what it was about. I certainly don't want my heart buried near any sort of conference room, so I was thinking that this book might just not be for me. But then I read the opening remarks that this book was "one of the smartest and most compelling books on leadership". Enough said. Attention caught. 

So I continued reading the review of this business-oriented book and was quite happy to see that its ideas ran parallel to a lot of the things I write about here on Optimal Optimist: commit first to yourself and your own ideas and to live out your personal values. I think I could really get into this Conference Room B business....


So, without further ado, here is the awesome quote that was pulled from the text and shared in the review. I promise...you won't be disappointed.
The irreducible essence of leadership is that leaders are people who live their deepest personal values without compromise, and they use those values to make life better for others- this is why people become leaders and why people follow leaders.  -Stan Slap in "Bury My Heart in Conference Room B"
Awesome, right? I told you! As I read and re-read it a few more times, it really started to sink in and I just knew I had to share it in today's post. These are pretty powerful words, but ones you should definitely keep in mind. We should all strive to live our deepest personal values without compromise; we've got to learn to stay true to our values and beliefs no matter who or what tries to break us from them. We also need to use our values to make life better for others - not by forcing our beliefs onto others, but by being a positive force in someone's life and by using what we know to make a better life for ourselves and others.

It's a good thing I don't have a can of paint lying around my place because I'm pretty sure I'd be using it to cover my walls with these words....come to think of it, I should probably stay away from the Sharpies for a few days. I really love this quote-  I hope you do too- and be sure to try to embody these words and share it with other leaders in your life.

Keep Smiling,

1 comment:

  1. I really needed this entry - thanks! :)

    - Vanessa
    http://theweeklyyogi.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!