Monday, October 4, 2010

Think Pink: Finding the Beauty That Remains

Photo: sacramentoscoop.com

Hello Optimists,

Well, October is officially upon us, whether we'd like to believe that or not. Besides the start of the colder weather and falling leaves, October marks another important event: Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This  whole month is dedicated to international health and wellness to spread awareness of and raise funds for this disease's cause, prevention, and cure. It gathers thousands of people all over the world to support organizations like Pink Ribbon, Inc., The American Cancer Society, Susan G. Komen Foundation, Breast Cancer Network of Strength, and many more through walks, races, rides, and "pink days".

Breast cancer has affected so many of our lives, whether it be a personal diagnosis or that of a friend or family, and with alarming statistics such as these below, we must take a stand. We must find a cure.

A woman dies somewhere in the world every 69 seconds from breast cancer. 


Every 2 minutes, there is a new breast cancer diagnosis.


It is estimated that in 2010 there will be 207,090 females and 1,970 males diagnosed with breast cancer.

This Sunday, on 10/10/10, I will be walking in the "Making Strides Toward a World with More Birthdays" walk sponsored by The American Cancer Society here in Philadelphia. It is going to be a great event and I am really looking forward to it! Most of all, I know that despite the effect this horrible disease has on so many people around the world, I will be surrounded with optimism, positivity, and inspiration by all of those who are taking part in the walk. I love that the theme of this walk is "celebrating a world with more birthdays", because it's quite optimistic, and allows us to look forward to the great things in life that we have the chance to celebrate.

I found a great quote for today's post that really embodies this idea and I knew that there would be no better time than now to feature it!
I don't think of all the misery but the beauty that still remains. -Anne Frank
This is so important for us to remember. In the midst of all of the devastation and sorrow that this disease causes, we must not think of all of the misery that lies ahead, but of the beauty that still remains. The beauty of life, of happiness, of experiencing and really living each day. While we will always be fighting to find a cure and coping with diagnoses, we cannot forget to celebrate each day, find the beauty in all that we do, and appreciate what we have in life.

I am walking for my grandmother, for my cousin, for my friends, for my family, and for all of the people out there whom I have yet to meet. I am walking to make a difference, to take a stand, and to support those who are fighting this disease. I am walking to celebrate more birthdays.

If you'd like to help me support The American Cancer Society through this walk, you can make a donation on my page: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/VCSPhilly or check to find out where the next fundraising walk is near you! I would appreciate if you would share this link with your friends and family to help fundraise and spread awareness.


To all that have already donated to the walk, thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou! I really appreciate your generosity and contribution, and so do the millions of people around the world who have been effected by this disease. Thank you for making a difference. Thank you for helping to support the beauty that still remains!


Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

  1. It is good to see you Thinking Pink, this is something very close to my heart as I have family and friends who are Breast Cancer survivors. As it is a charity I already support I will not be sponsoring you but my thoughts will be with you. I am also planning a pink post of my own if it fits feasibly into my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in the march for breast cancer awareness!

    - Vanessa
    http://theweeklyyogi.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!