Monday, November 1, 2010

Cut the Worries!

Photo: Google

Hello Optimists,

I read an interesting article the other day about worrying. Not normally the topic at the top of my reading list, but it seemed interesting nonetheless. The article explained what worrying is, why we do it, and then offered some advice about how to just cool it and worry a bit less. Easier said than done, I suppose. But we all know those who worry incessantly about things that don't even need to be worried about, whose minds are consumed with the worries of "what ifs" and the thoughts of the most horrible things that can go wrong in any situation.

Now, there are times when worrying is completely justified and appropriate, and I think a bit of worrying is healthy- it keeps us on our toes and keeps our attention at its peak. But those times should be reserved for things that really warrant worry and in situations that we can actually control. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that as Optimists, we have a bit of an advantage over the average Worrier. The more we think positively, the less we will worry about the things that go on in our every day lives, and the more we can enjoy our presence in the day.

I thought today's featured quote would be just perfect for this topic and I hope you do too.
Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.  ~Leo Buscaglia
Ah, so true. It's important to keep this in mind and recite it every time we are feeling a bit anxious. Chances are we just need to hear that little soothing voice inside of our heads to calm us down a bit, and we'll be feeling better in no time. We've got to be able to take pleasure in the joys in our life right now, because they may not be around tomorrow.  Worrying only takes this ability away from us.

So let's make a promise to think positively and work on cutting out some of our worries. I bet that we will soon notice a renewed joy in our lives and be able to better enjoy the little things that life has to offer us.

Keep Smiling,




DON'T FORGET: My next post is a very exciting one! Be sure to check back on Wednesday to hear the news...

6 comments:

  1. However optimistic I consider myself to be I am still also a worrier, that's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said and so true!!!

    I loved the quote by Leo - I love that guy and have read a couple of his books...

    Here's another quote (not by Leo - but along the lines of worrying...) that I really love and hope others will enjoy too:

    “One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering.”
    ~ Ida Scott Taylor ~


    Have a great day!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, ladies!

    @Linda: You're right- worrying is just a part of life! But being a worrier is certainly not a bad thing, just be sure to balance it out with an equal amount of clear and positive thinking!

    @Christine: Wow, what a wonderful quote! Thank you for sharing that with me. I'm going to write that down and hopefully use it in a future post! Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it! :) Great quotes are so motivating and essential in my life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All so true about worrying! Great post & I love that quote!

    I will be back tomorrow to hear/read your Big News! I'm so curious! :-)

    Thank you so very, very much for recommending me to WOW! I was shocked and excited at the same time! You are so sweet for doing that! Your support and friendship means so much to me!!! :-)

    Blessings & Hugh Hug,
    Coreen

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Coreen: The nomination to WOW is so well deserved and I can't wait until you're featured! I love sharing great blogs with others and I'm happy to spread the word about yours :)

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!