Thursday, November 11, 2010

Finding Light in the Dark

Image: Google

Hello Optimists,

Daylight Savings Time's little one-hour time change has really made a huge difference these past few days. It felt great to gain that extra hour of sleep and now I'm finding that my days feel longer than ever...almost dragging on. Of course, that's not a bad thing, but the one thing I don't like about this change is that it starts getting dark around 4:30pm. I just love the sun, and seeing it go down earlier and earlier every day is no just no fun. I like the way the sun lights everything up and I especially like the warmth that it brings. Dark and cold just seems so...dark and cold.

I was driving home (in the dark) yesterday and I was trying to find the good in this new situation. As I drove, Despite the darkness of the sky, I noticed the streets seemed to be unusually bright; the houses were glowing from within showing the life that moved inside and the street lights added some sparkle to the road. Now keep in mind that this is the same route I take almost every day, at the same time, but because of that one measly hour that Daylight Savings Time had taken away, it was a whole new ride.

As I thought more about the beauty that I was finding in an otherwise dismal setting, I remembered a great quote about a similar idea that I thought would be great to feature in today's post.
People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within. -Elisabeth Kubler Ross
I just love this quote and it is so true! Darkness should not be seen as an obstacle, but rather an opportunity to see the real light shining from within that could not otherwise be seen during the daytime. Here you will feel the warmth, see the shine, and witness the beauty that can come from the light that we all hold inside. Sure, we all look great in the light, and look to the dark only to hide those unwanted "flaws", but it is in the darkness that we can have the chance to really shine.

So while I'm still adjusting to this whole "afternoon darkness" idea, I do have a new perspective on it. And best part of it all is that I will now remember this great quote and apply it to my life. I want to sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but more importantly, I want my light to shine even when the sun sets...and I hope you will too.

Keep Smiling,

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this perspective :-). It's taking me some time to get used to the limited daylight as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ashley: Thanks for the comment, and I'm glad it could give you a new view on the adjustment to daylight savings! Hope you're having a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok bright positive thoughts as always from you, but you will never ever get me to like the cold dark short winter days, roll on the shortest day for me please :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way I am not subscribing to comments as my in box is overwhelmed and I can no longer cope :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what a great quote! Some of my most favourite people on the planet have that 'light from within'. Thank you for reminding me of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Linda: Thanks for the comments and I will be sure to stop by your blog to respond (and read your wonderful posts, too!)

    @Kym: Glad you liked this post! You are certainly very lucky to have those great people in your life- never forget them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this. As usual, I dread this time of year - because like you, I hate that it gets dark so soon. And like you, I try to find something good about it to get me through it... and your insight was just what I needed! Thanks! :)

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice entry, as always. I also felt that you may have saw things in a new light on your drive home - things that you usually don't take notice are usually made easier to concentrate on when you focus-

    I also liked today's quote and your analogy how people are like stained glass windows. We have stained glass windows at our church that always look more radiant when the sun is out - but not so much in the dark. I will take what you said into perspective so I can try to find the light, optimism in people that I know. I hope it makes me get to know them better.

    - Vanessa
    The Project Zen

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!