Friday, November 19, 2010

Lessons from a Wizard

Photo: Google

Hello Optimists,

I remember receiving my first copy of Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone way back when I was in the fourth grade. It was a Christmas gift from a friend, and I accepted it with excitement and slight hesitation. I had heard all of the hype and I wanted to see what it was all about..but a world of wizards? Even as a ten year old, I wasn't so sure about all of this...

In three days, I had finished the book. It fascinated me. I was an instant fan, and couldn't wait another second until the next book came out. Over a decade later (whoa!) I have read through the thousands of pages contained in the seven part series, I have seen all of the movies that have been released up until now, and am eagerly awaiting my first viewing of the new movie released today! I promised my brother-in-law that I'd wait to see it with him over Thanksgiving so I need to keep my eyes and ears shut to all of the news that I'm sure will be out after the midnight premieres last night. He's lucky I like him...

While I love the action packed scenes of the movies, the enthralling and well-written words of the books, the perfect hero-villain plots of each story, and the lovely British accents of the actors, I love the Harry Potter stories because they're so inspirational. Behind all of the spells, witches' hats, and three-headed dogs lie stories that send out positive messages about life, friendship, happiness, and perseverance. I'm not sure that I realized all of this when I first read through the pages of The Sorcerer's Stone, but I certainly do now. That's why I'm still a fan.

Today's featured quote is one of my favorites (and spoken by one of my favorite characters in the story!) and I am happy to share it with you today in honor of the release of the first half of the final HP movie.
Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.  ~Steven Kloves (screenplay),  Spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Ah, Dumbledore, what a wise old wizard. A happy life is something everyone wants, whether one is going to Hogwarts or living in the muggle world. This is a reminder that happiness is always surrounding us, it's always there and ready to bring a smile to our face. Sometimes it takes the front seat and shines in the spotlight; other times, it is pushed to the back and gets lost in the darkness. But have no doubt that it's always present no matter how "dark" things seem to be. It's just up to us to make sure we remember to turn on the light to reveal its place in our life.

The seventh and final story of the Harry Potter series has (finally) made its way onto the big screen and I can't wait to see it. It's a very exciting story and full of all of the inspiration and great qualities that have made the series so popular - so I know that I'm in for a treat!

Do you have any plans to see the new movie? What are some of your favorite inspirational parts of the movies and/or books?

Keep Smiling,

4 comments:

  1. Oh Dumbledore! I read and enjoyed all these but I doubt if I would have done had it not been for the fact that our daughters are a similar age to you and I had to know what they were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never gotten into the books but my friend Ariana has. Ever read The Chronicles of Narnia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Linda: I'm so glad you're a fan too! Let me know what you think of the movies if you go...

    @Joy: I have never read The Chronicles, but I've heard they're really great. I'd like to put those on my reading list though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would enjoy the Chronicles of Narnia.

    My daughter and daughter in law saw the new Harry Potter movie yesterday. They both thought it was awesome, but they felt that the movie ended rather abruptly.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!