Friday, November 5, 2010

Let your Work Shine

Photo: Google

Hello Optimists,

Before officially starting today's post, I wanted to extend a sincere thank you to all of those who commented on my last post marking the 1 year anniversary of the start of Optimal Optimist. Your support really means so much to me and it drives the inspiration behind each post I write!

When birthdays come around, we tend to look back on all of the years that have passed, and (hopefully) think about all the good times and experiences we've had thus far. So in celebration of this past year, I started thinking back on the first few days of writing this blog. Initially, I did not feature a profile picture and had no trace of my name anywhere on the blog- readers just knew me as "Optimal Optimist". I did that on purpose, first because I wasn't so sure I wanted my name out there, and second because....well, I wasn't so sure if people would even respond to this whole idea. To be honest, I was a little scared. I had never written a blog before so this whole concept was really new to me. I remember sharing the link to one of my first posts with some friends and family, and they had absolutely no idea I was the one behind the writing.

It's kind of nice to be able to sit back and watch for reactions to your work, whether they be positive or negative, because people won't be afraid to voice their honest opinions and you can let the work speak for itself. How many times do we let brand names or logos make a buying decision for us without even testing out the quality or performance of a product? Well, the same situation applies here- I didn't want people to like/dislike my blog just because they like/dislike me or my profile photo. So, I remained "anonymous" for a while, until I felt that my writing had established itself enough for me to reveal myself as the author.

Today's featured quote follows my line of thinking on this matter quite perfectly....
If I could I would always work in silence and obscurity, and let my efforts be known by their results. –Emily Bronte  
This is exactly what I was going for in the early days of Optimal Optimist! I wanted the success of my blog to be based solely on the words and content that people would read. My "silence and obscurity" was done intentionally because I wanted the content to be the star of the show- I wanted to make a difference and send a positive message out to anyone who stumbled across the blog.

Even though I now have my picture up on my profile and my name listed somewhere on one of the pages of this blog, I still hope that the words that fill the posts of Optimal Optimist are what truly bring readers to the page. One year later, I am still striving for my efforts to be known by their results.

I hope you can keep this in mind as well. Though it's important to associate your name with your work, don't let it be the guiding light in your success. Rather, let your work shine through and soon enough,  recognition will follow, and everyone will know your name.

Keep Smiling,




A few months back I wrote a post called "The Simple Things" that is still one of my favorites, where I listed the simple things in life that make me happy and that I try not to take for granted. Check out the Ladaisi blog's "Plain Vanilla" post whose author, Lauren, joined in the fun and created an awesome list of simple things that she loves in her life!

6 comments:

  1. I have always used my pseudonym on my blog since that's the professional name I want to promote, although my real name has popped up on some posts, though probably unnoticed by most readers.
    I like to be able to see what the blog author looks like and know something about them. It gives me a great sense of attachment and investment--like having a friend or business relationship. Before I start following a blog I always like to look at their Blogger profile. Sometimes I'll follow just because they show similar interests to my own.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand why you would want to remain anonymous when you first started writing in your blog. You're not exactly sure which kind of response you'll get - even though you hope your blog will be a success!

    I also like to think that often times, our ideas and actions can be credited by someone else. It takes one audacious idea and if this idea serves as a positive impact, the creator should take credit for it so they can leave behind a legacy of what they want to be most known for.

    Vanessa
    Project Zen

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lee: Thanks for the comment and you make a good point- it is nice to have some attachment to a friend and put a face to a name, especially when we have online blogging friendships!

    @Vanessa: Nicely said- I agree with your point that we should take credit for our ideas...and I'm hoping that my name will be associated with the legacy I'm trying to build here on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way I have recognized your blog with an "award" on my post that will appear tomorrow. Hope it drives some new traffic your way. Please make sure to visit to claim the award.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that I missed your blogs birthday earlier this week. So a belated Congratulations for having created a whole year of optimistic posts. Have a good weekend and stay optimistic :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lee: Thank you so much! I will be sure to stop by and check out tomorrow's post...

    @Linda: Thanks for the birthday wishes and thanks for always sharing your thoughtful comments. Hope you have a great weekend as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!