Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Another Kindness Movement

Image: Google

Hello Optimists,

I posted a link on the OO Facebook page last night about Yahoo's new kindness initiative in which they are encouraging people to "start a ripple of kindness and see how it grows". An awesome idea, and one that I hope will get a lot of attention and participation. Over 25,000 people have already posted their stories of kindness, and I'm sure that number will grow substantially before this campaign comes to an end.

I've written several post on kindness and it's something that I know we can never have too much of in this world. In addition to updating your "kindness status" to share with others on the site and reading through the year in review stories of kindness, Yahoo also had a scroll of quotes about kindness displayed on the page. How ironic.

I thought it would only be appropriate to share with you one of my favorites from their selection - and I think I've found a great one! Here is today's featured quote about kindness:
You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Now while I think "a kindness" is an odd way of putting it,  I am not one to correct The Mr. Ralph Waldo Emerson. But aside from my almost compulsive need to correct grammar, I absolutely love this quote. We should never pass up an opportunity to spread kindness around our world or think, "Eh, I can do that anytime" because we never know when our time is up. We never want to look back and wish we could have made a difference. We want to look back and be happy that we did.

So I encourage you to check out the Yahoo site and share you stories of kindness....but don't forget to share them with me and the other readers of OO too! I'd love to hear about your stories of kindness - acts that you've done or that others have done for you. Post them in the comment section below or on the OO Facebook page...I look forward to reading them!

Keep Smiling,

7 comments:

  1. Kindness is a good thing, not only does it encourage someone else, performing the act of kindness is an encouragement to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog! Found it today and am happy I did. I will hit the "follow" button right now. =)

    Marvelous Minutia
    http://marvelousminutia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing. I am adding you to my blogroll.

    Marvelous Minutia
    http://marvelousminutia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ryan: Hi! Thanks for stopping by and I'm so glad you like the blog! I'm excited to have you as part of our club :)
    I'm off to check out your blog now.. Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Melissa: Thanks for the comment - and you're absolutely right, kindness is encouraging to all! Good point :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vanessa!

    I'm making the rounds on blogs that I've neglected lately due to being sick and busy with the holidays and all! I'm always happy when I stop by your site because it's always so OPTIMISTIC :) :) I've been following you for a while and have you under my blogroll because I truly believe many that follow my site (or stop by) will benefit from following yours as well! Thanks for spreading the positivity!

    I love what Yahoo has started and look forward to checking it out! (and I love the Emerson quote - I don't think there's anything that man has said that I don't agree with! :)

    Speaking of acts of kindness - I hope you'll take the time to check out my recent post on my blog - entitled: Narayanan Krishnan: Protecting the Powerless. This is one man who has gone above and beyond - and is truly an inspiration!

    He was selected as one of CNN's top 10 heroes of 2010 - there's a short clip which will make your heart melt - it made me cry! He's a true angel on earth!

    Take care!
    Christine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Christine: What a thoughtful comment! Thanks for stopping by! I will definitely be checking out your latest blog post - in fact, I'm going there now! :D

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!