Monday, December 6, 2010

Thinking Positive: Believing that We Can

Photo: Google

Hello Optimists,

I had an interesting phone conversation yesterday - my friend and I got talking about success. She said she had been watching a Sunday morning TV show and the reporters said the trait most associated with success was high self-esteem. Seems logical, right? Well, sure it does..but how many of us can say we actually have that?

Personally I can say that I don't always have high self-esteem. It's something I'm working on, of course, but I have a bad habit of doubting myself. But, I think optimism has a lot to do with self-esteem. In fact, I think there's a very direct correlation....and that's a good thing because as I work on staying true to positive thinking and optimism, I will in turn be improving my self-esteem. If we think positively about the things happening around us and about the things we want to make happen in our lives, we can gain confidence in ourselves and really put those good thoughts into action.

Even after I hung up the phone, I sat thinking for a while about this whole idea. And then, as I sat down to write today's post, I scrolled through my list of quotes and happened to stumble upon this one - and it seemed too coincidental to pass up. It couldn't have been better for this topic, so I knew I had to share it with you today:
In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can. -Nikos Kazantzakis 
So there you have it - success linked once again to self-esteem and the belief that we can make things happen.  So many of us strive for success, picturing our ideal world in our heads, but often fall short because we let little doubts turn us away from our dreams. We don't believe that we can. Whenever we feel those thoughts creeping in, we must remember this quote. I know I sure will, and I hope that by being an optimist, I can really believe in myself and my ideas and goals.

Success can only be reached if we allow ourselves to have the confidence to make it happen.

What are you thoughts on this? Do you think success has a direct relation with self-confidence? I'd love if you would share your thoughts!

Keep Smiling,
P.S. Be sure to join us on the Optimal Optimist Facebook page!  In addition to posting updates about new blog posts, I also keep fans up to date with some inspiring news articles, positive websites, and other fun and optimistic stuff! Join the fun...and invite your friends   :)

6 comments:

  1. You now have 100! May I ask you to do the same for News From Italy unless you already have of course.
    Self confidence is definitely needed to be successful in what ever one hopes to achieve in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Linda: Thank you for joining the FB page! (And how fun to be #100!) I "Liked" your page as well..looking forward to building our social media friendship :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so true that you need to believe in yourself to succeed. I have tried to instil self confidence in all five of my children (now adults) and for the most part, given that they all have different personalities, I think I managed it. That's not to say that they don't ever suffer self doubt which I also think is vital. Would any of us like to be so totally confident that we never stop to consider that things may go wrong? That said, I am still working on my own self confidence in many areas - its a never ending job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Deborah: Thanks for the comment! And good point; self-doubt does give us the perfect opportunity to double check our decisions...getting past that doubt is the hard part! It truly is a never ending job, but one that can always be improved! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello

    Thanks for writing this blog, loved reading it

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous: Hi! Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you liked today's post. Hope it inspired you :)

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!