Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Best Gift

Image: Google

Hello Optimists,

I'm just loving the quotes being featured from my blogger friends who submitted to last week's "signs of advice" challenge. I'm especially excited about today's submission because it fits in perfectly with the holiday season that is upon us.

Around this time of year, everyone prepares for the holidays by buying presents, baking cookies and decorating their trees with ribbons and bows. The malls are packed, the streets are crowded, and everyone is busy putting the final touches to their holiday "sparkle". Kids scribble letters to Santa and send them off to The North Pole in anticipation of what that jolly old fella might bring on Christmas morning. Gifts must be wrapped just so and piled up and arranged neatly under the tree, creating the perfect image of Christmas time.

We all get wrapped up (no pun intended) in the festivities of the holidays, and many of us look forward to ripping open gifts from friends and family. I must admit, it is a lot of fun! But in today's featured quote, Chris at Wisdom and Life helped me come back to reality and out of the materialistic views of the holidays to realize that there is one gift that should be first on everyone's list. It's the thing that doesn't cost much, but it's a gift that can last a lifetime. Here's the "sign of advice" that Chris submitted: 
When you have the gift of friends, what else do you need?
Chris wrote about this gift in his post called No Greater Gift and I've written about friendship in some of my past posts like Silver and Gold and BFF's. It's definitely something we both have strong feelings about and one part of life we find to be so valuable.  I couldn't agree more with what Chris said. Since we're all in holiday mode and looking for that perfect gift to give to our friends and family members, let us not forget that the most important thing of all is not that great cashmere sweater you got for your sister, or the new pair of socks you bought for your uncle, or the diamond necklace you got for your love <3...the greatest gift we can give to any of those loved ones in our life is friendship. And when we're lucky enough to have friends by our side, we must step back and take a second to ask what else is there that we really need?

When all things are considered, asking for a new pair of shoes or a piece of jewelry in comparison to a solid friendship seems a bit absurd. Friendship is an incredible gift that no other perfectly wrapped present can top...even if if does have a pretty bow on top!

Thanks, Chris, for sharing these words of advice, and I hope we can all ask ourselves this question when we're thinking about the perfect gift to give or get this holiday season.

Keep Smiling,

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, friends are the best possible gift! And thanks to wonderful blog friends like you, dear Optimal Optimist, I have fabulous far-away friends! Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! Wonderful quote by Chris!! I just love his site as well! I'd be lost without my dear friends!

    Have a wonderful Christmas!!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the plug, Vanessa! And thanks to you too, Hope...

    I write first for me but when I see that my words help others it is more then gratifying.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!