Wednesday, December 1, 2010

There's Somethin' About the Holidays...

Photo: Google

Hello Optimists,

Last night I tuned in to Christmas in Rockefeller Center to watch the performances and lighting ceremony of "the most famous tree in the U.S.". This celebration always brings thousands of people to The Rock to see some great performers (like Sheryl Crow, Josh Groban and Annie Lennox) and most importantly, The Rockettes! I'm lucky enough to live only about 2 hours from New York City, but unfortunately I have never gone to this event...I guess the fact that it's on a week night doesn't help much, but I think this is one thing that's going on my To-Do List. Yeah, definitely going somewhere near the top...

Anyway, as the camera scanned the crowd last night, I noticed how happy everyone looked...peaceful, content, and filled with joy. Sure, it probably had something to do with the fact that they're were in the crowd of a great concert series. Plus it was hosted by the NBC morning crew - and Al Roker is looking quite svelte these days (haha), so overall it must have been quite an exciting night. But I think there was something more behind the happiness that filled the cool New York air. There's just something about the holidays that allows us to see the world through untainted eyes.

That's why this season is so great. We allow ourselves to take part in traditions and events that bring out the best of our emotions and put a little positive spark in our life. That's why giving and donations are heightened during this season and it's also why we tend to look past the little qualms that usually get the best of us. We allow ourselves to feel the power of positivity.

I found a great quote that really sums up this idea pretty well and it reveals why everyone looked so happy at The Rock last night...
That is happiness; to be dissolved into something completely great. -Willa Cather
I wish we could keep that feeling of happiness alive throughout the whole year, but unfortunately, the jingle bells aren't always ringing merrily in our ears. Unfortunate things happen and we get sidetracked from our happiness. We no longer allow ourselves to dissolve into the great things in life that fill us with that joyous feeling- we get anxious and unnerved, and try desperately to get back into that happy state of mind. But it's never far away; we just need to learn to cultivate our happy thoughts and emotions and turn the negativity in our lives into something greater. Once we can do that, we will see that happiness never escapes us, and we can live our best life and live in the moment just like those at The Rock last night.

Make today the day where you promise to dissolve into something completely great and make it last well past this holiday season.

Do you think there is something special about the holiday season that can explain the air of happiness that surrounds us during this time?

Keep Smiling,

4 comments:

  1. Great post, I couldn't agree more!

    That event at the 'Rock' sounds heavenly!! No doubt it would put us all in the Ultimate Christmas Spirit! :-)

    I'm putting that on my 'bucket' or 'to do list' too.

    Have a wonderful rest of the week!!
    Hugs,
    Coreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it's getting to see my kids who live far away and my mother and siblings. This year I'll be driving from Los Angeles to NJ, VA, TN, and TX. Being on the road tends to make me feel uplifted--as long as the weather is good.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Coreen: Glad to see you have a new addition to your bucket list- and a great one at that! Hope you get there soon :)

    @Lee: Thanks for the comment, Lee. Wishing you safe travels this holiday season - it sure will be a great trip! I've always wanted to drive across the country so you'll have to let me know how the trip was. Enjoy your time on the East coast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think how much happier everyone would be if they had the Christmas Spirit all year round.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!