Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mind Over Matter

Image: Google


Hello Optimists,


My birthday is coming up this week so I thought I would feature a special "birthday edition" post. There are many different perspectives on birthdays: a lot of people are scared to get older, many are excited, and others don't really even think about adding more candles to their cake...that's what makes birthdays so interesting.


Since I'm still pretty young, it doesn't really scare me to be turning another year older. I have a lot to look forward to and a lot to be excited about, so adding more candles onto my cake isn't such a bad thing. But it sure does make me think about all of the great things that have happened in my twenty-some years of life and where the next few days, months, years, and decades will take me. Even though I admit these unanswered questions are a bit unnerving, I think it's a good thing to be ready to move on and to look forward to what's next. 


I was looking for a good quote to feature for today's post, and while there are many out there about aging and birthdays, I found one that seemed to be just the thing I was looking for. 

“Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.”
- Mark Twain
A lot of things in life are mind over matter... (that's why we know it's so important to think positively, right?!) And I suppose that age falls into this category too. I know a lot of people who, in terms of years may be considered "old", but are ripe and young and still full of life because they don't mind their age...it doesn't matter to them. What does matter, and what's most important, is that they still have love for their lives and for the people in their lives. 


So if you have an upcoming birthday like me, don't wish that it will never come just because you may have to buy an extra package of candles this year. Instead, welcome the day so you can look back at all of the great things that have happened in the past and look forward to what the future holds. Most importantly, remember that if you don't mind your age, your age won't matter! 


Keep Smiling,

7 comments:

  1. A slightly more pragmatic approach was uttered by a friend of mine who said:

    "Moaning about your birthday? Just remember the alternative ain't much chop!"


    Enjoy yours! Happy Birthday...

    Kym

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about this. I celebrated my 60th birthday on January 30th. No big deal just 30, 40, 50, etc didn't matter that much to me. I'm still in pretty good shape physically and mentally I don't feel much different than I did at 25 except that now I now more about a lot more different things and I don't worry about what people think so much.

    I've got great memories and I can still actually remember most of them. And now I'm just sailing onward and have every plan to live till I'm at least 150.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Age is definitely a matter of mind over matter! Happy Birthday xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always say that birthdays just mark a collection of days so reaching another just adds another day to your collection.
    It's good to be back again Vanessa - Happy Birthday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!! Follow your Dream and figure out how to get payed for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kym: Love that quote- and so true! Thanks for stopping by :)

    @Lee: You have such a great perspective on life and I'm glad you're looking forward to the next 90 years!!!

    @Linda: Thanks for the birthday wishes! <3

    @Deborah: Great comparison - add another one to the collection! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    @Anonymous: Thanks for the birthday wishes! I'll get working on following my dream and making some moo-lah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Birthdays are special to me. Instead of seeing myself as growing older, I see it as another year to enjoy life. It was not too long ago that I was convinced that I was going to die (suicide attempt). The fact that I am still here is something I celebrate.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!