Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Rita's Equation

Image: Google

Hello Optimists,

Yesterday was the season opening of my local Rita's Italian Ice, and I was so excited to go - not only because they were offering 50% off everything, but also because it's just another wonderful sign of spring on its way!

What I like most about Rita's (besides their delicious treats, of course!) is that they promote and promise happiness. In fact, their tag line is: Ice, Custard, Happiness and they really value living up to that promise for their "guests". And, even better, they have their RITAS values: Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability, and Service. Now that's pretty cool...no pun intended.

After eating my amazingly delicious ice yesterday, I began thinking more about the Rita's promise of happiness, and remembered a great quote I once read that really embodied the mission of the franchise:

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give. -Eleanor Roosevelt 
Even if you're not the lucky owner of a Rita's (I mean, how awesome would that be?!) I think you should still take these words to heart and try to carry them with you every day. We should be giving a lot of thought into the happiness that we are able to give to others, and in turn, to ourselves. I want as many people to smile when they see me as when they see a Rita's. I want to deliver happiness...and if I could, I'd love to throw in some ice and custard as well! 

So this week, think of yourself as a new Rita's franchise and remember the Rita's Equation....how will you serve up some happiness?

Keep Smiling,

6 comments:

  1. Love Elenor and her words of great wisdom! What a great blog and lookig soooo forward to Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all struggle sometimes with giving joy and happiness. It's when we are down that we NEED to give that joy to others. It can be a challenge if we're not happy to give it.

    IF we CAN reach deep down and find that LITTLE bit of joy and give it to someone, whether in the form of a smile or a hug, you JUST MIGHT feel a bit of joy yourself where there was lack before.

    Giving our happiness when we have none to give can sometimes replenish our souls more then when have an abundance of joy.

    The next time you're feeling a little underwhelmed, try giving someone a smile. I bet you'll feel a little better. Wise words from someone who didn't practice what he preaches a few weeks ago. LoL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe your local Rita's is opened already! :) I didn't know that's what Rita's stand for which is pretty neat. I'm actually going to remember that as I put it in effect in all my endeavors at work and in class.

    And giving joy (even in the form a hug) can be just enough!

    - Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous: Thanks for the comment! Glad you liked today's post.

    @Chris: So glad you stopped by and shared your words of wisdom. Thanks for such a great and thoughtful comment.

    @Vanessa: Glad you're going to make this part of your daily routine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely sounding outlet, although the thought of ice cream does not inspire me much at the moment, still far too cold here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the philosophy that Rita's conveys. Disneyland has capitalized on the concept of trying to create "the happiest place on Earth" and they do a pretty good job of it (other than the expense of going there). If people have confidence and have expectations of receiving something good, they will usually continue to go back.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!