Saturday, March 12, 2011

Be Grateful!


Hello Optimists,

I'm sure by now everyone's heard of the tragic natural disaster in Japan, and I bet we're all feeling the same pull on our hearts for those affected by it. I've been watching the news coverage since early yesterday morning when I turned on GMA to get my recap of events for the day. The show usually has some good stories to share, but yesterday, it was completely different. You could just tell from the reporters' voices that this was something very serious..and then they played some video footage of the damages in Japan, and I quickly realized just how serious it was. If anyone has any friends or family that have been directly affected by this earthquake and tsunami, my prayers and positive thoughts go out to you.

It's funny - tragedies like this make you grateful for even the smallest things in life. Out of something so terrible, we are able to get something good. We get a renewed appreciation for our life, for our friends, for our family, and for all of the little "extras" that are a part of our daily routine, however small the may be.

I thought that today would be the best day to share with you something I found on a post from one of my blogger friends over at Project Zen. The image, seen above, is a great little reminder of a little mantra that we should be reciting to ourselves each and every day. I know that sometimes it's easy to forget to do this and it's easy to take things for granted, but in light of the recent disasters in the East, it reminds us just how important it is to truly be grateful.

So as you go through your day today, and every day, remember to recite this at least once in your head:

I will be grateful for this day. 

Say it, and mean it. Take some time to review all of the things in your life that make it great, and never forget just how lucky we are to have what we have at our fingertips. Learning to have appreciation and gratitude for even the smallest of things in our life will make it that much richer.

Keep Smiling,

4 comments:

  1. It's times like this where I often feel powerless as to what I can do to help the victims and survivors in Japan and knowing that something similar can happen in America... I read an article in the Times where parts of the West Coast (especially from Washington down to northern California) can receive a similar detrimental earthquake...

    it's quite scary but perhaps the most important point is to realize and be grateful for the little things in our lives that you mentioned: our family, our friends, our education, our jobs and our health too.

    Good post and thanks for linking me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is difficult to think about the small picture and ones own optimism when Mother Nature is in such turmoil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!

    FYI, I shared your site as a go to place for Joy over on my New Bliss Habits site. Here is the link to the Joy Resource Page where you are listed:

    http://blisshabits.com/joy/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to express gratitude as much as I can, especially when I hear others being negative and compaining about what they don't have. I think it's best to be aware of what you do have and be thankful that you have it. Everyday is a new blessing.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!