Sunday, March 20, 2011

Love Your Job - Be Happy at Work!

Image: Google

Hello Optimists,

This past week I had the lovely opportunity to go on a bit of a getaway for spring break. I got to do one of the things I like to do best - sit under the warm sun on the beach, listen to waves crash and have endless pina coladas delivered to my beach chair.

It was quite easy to be in a good mood with all of the sunshine and clear, blue water that was surrounding me. But that good mood wasn't all from the fact that I love the beach so much - though that did have a lot to do with it! What also made it great was the positivity and happiness that flowed from the staff working at the resort. They were jubilant, smiling, and genuinely happy to help make your stay with them the best it could be - and not just because it was their job, but because they cared to see you smile, they shared the desire to create a good experience, and they placed such high importance on their role in your state of happiness. It was easy to see that they were doing a job that made them (and everyone around them) happy. I was ready to sign up for another vacation next year at the same place just because of the happy employees alone!

It was such a difference from what we are used to seeing back home that I had lengthy discussions with my fellow spring breakers about it. The air was noticeably different because positive attitudes and genuine happiness flowed throughout the resort as a result of the staff's superb service. This got me thinking quite a bit about happiness in the workplace and why so many of us here should apply this to our careers. If we can learn to make happiness a part of our jobs, we will in turn bring happiness into the lives of the clients that we serve. We already know that people respond positively to positivity, so from a business point of view, adding a bit of happiness can make you or your business stand out from the crowd.

I believe these two quotes say it best:
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work. -Aristotle
You do your best work if you do a job that makes you happy.     -Bob Ross 
Keep this in mind when you drag yourself to work on Monday mornings and start the week off right. Remember that being pleasant on the job and making an effort to bring happiness to the workplace will bring benefits not only to you, but to the company you work for as well.

What do you do to make your job a happy place? Does your employer do anything special to make your place of work a happy place to be?

Keep Smiling,

5 comments:

  1. I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your blog. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to hear about good vacations. I feel like I end up hearing about more sour-ones more and more these days. Lovely quotes btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog! Glad to hear you had a great vacation, which in turn should put a smile on your face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See? That's one thing I can say. I'm in the perfect place right now. I LOVE my job. Working in the book field is exactly where I need to be. I get to interact w/the public. Another HUGE plus for me as that's how I get my energy.

    The best thing I get from my job is when I recommend a book and someone returns asking for more recommendations. I have a following now where people just come to me before they head into the stacks. They trust my choices; but then it helps that I read EVERYTHING. So I'm never without an option for someone.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Michelle: Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Glad I could give your some good vacation stories :)

    @Anonymous: It certainly did put a smile on my face...a big one!

    @Chris: It's so refreshing to hear this! Not many people feel this way about their jobs, so you should consider yourself very very lucky to be doing what you love! I think that's so great!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!