Saturday, March 5, 2011

Positive Vandalism...?

Hello Optimists,

I will be the first to say that defacing someone else's property is wrong. It doesn't matter if it's graffiti on a wall, eggs on a house, scratches on a car, or Sharpie mustaches on your best friend's lovely face (which may be the worst kind of vandalism! That stuff never comes off!)...

But this week as I was walking through the neighborhood, I noticed some "vandalism" that I actually didn't mind. It was - believe it or not - positive vandalism. I found it as I was walking up to an intersection, and I quickly pulled out my phone to snap a picture of it so I could share it with you. It's just another one of the "signs" that pop up in my life that continue to inspire optimism....

So, here's what I saw:


There, on all four sides of the crosswalk was spray-painted, "be kind." A simple, to-the-point message painted in a place that is easily spotted by passerby's. I hope that this unusual place and method of spreading positivity and kindness caught some off guard and inspired them to be kind. 

We all know how important kindness is - it's one of the things I write about quite a bit here on OO. Never did I think of spray-painting it on the road....but I think it's a pretty effective way of spreading some optimism! 

Have you ever seen any "positive" vandalism? 

Keep Smiling,

4 comments:

  1. Not sure really. As you say Graffiti is often regarded as vandalism but it has been around since the days of Pompeii in Italy at least, so I am more open to it than I used to be. Is that a positive view on vandalism?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not a bad way to vandalize I guess. At least it's stenciled neatly. If the same message were scrawled or spray-painted somewhere I don't think it would be acceptable. It's a matter of the good taste of the appearance I'd say.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I do agree that vandalism is wrong, seeing something like this would definitely put some pep in my step for the rest of the day. Hope it inspired you to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Linda: I suppose that is a positive view- I often find that being open to more things allows me to think more positively about them.

    @Lee: Good point - I tend to appreciate graffiti more as a work of art when it's done neatly than when it's just splashed on a wall somewhere.

    @Vanessa: It sure did inspire me! Glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!