Saturday, March 26, 2011

Positivity in the ER? Yes!

Image: refresheverything.com

Hello Optimists,

Yesterday was a good day...mainly because it was Friday. Fridays are almost always good days, for sometimes no better reason than it just being the kickoff day to the weekend. As I arrived back at my place after a packed schedule, I took some time to relax and unwind from the day. I had to recharge for later on in the night - after all, it was my friend's birthday and she had invited me to a local restaurant and bar to celebrate! Yay! Another reason it was a good day.

Unfortunately things didn't really go as planned. As I was recharging, my roommate came to my door and said, "I have a not-so-fun favor to ask of you. Can you please drive me to the ER? I think I may have appendicitis." Oh goodness! So with that, I hopped up, grabbed my keys, and off we went. Mind you, it was just about 6pm....perfect timing for rush hour traffic in Philadelphia. Dodging the highways and traffic as best as I could, we made our way into the city and arrived at the hospital at UPenn about 30 minutes later.

I'm sure you know the routine in the ER - it seems as if more time is spent in the waiting room than actually getting seen by the doctors. I waited in there while my roommate walked in and out and back and forth to the different stations - admission, registration, triage, etc. I had a book in my car that I brought along in anticipation of the long night, so that occupied my time for a bit, but as the waiting room got a bit more crowded, I realized that I was too distracted with people-watching to continue reading. So, I put the book back in my bag and took a look around the room at the others who were waiting there along with me. Some looked worried, some looked agitated, and some were falling asleep after what had probably been a long day in the office.

As I continued to scan the room, however, I caught a glimpse of a woman's sweatshirt, and I was sure that what I had thought it read was just my mind playing tricks on me. But, sure enough, as I took a second look, I realized that my eyes were not lying. On this woman's sweatshirt read the words,

"Stay Positive"
It really amazes me how much optimism and positivity can become a part of your life once you agree to let it in. I've written many times about the countless "signs" that seem to appear out of nowhere, in the most random of places. It occurred to me that there could not have been a better place for this woman to wear this sweatshirt, as the ER is usually a place where people are thinking anything but positively.

So, I never made it to my friend's birthday party, but I was able to help another friend out in a time of need. And because of that, I was reminded to keep positivity in my life. Plus, it turns out that after many, many hours of waiting, my friend did NOT have appendicitis. Whew! 

See? I told you Fridays were good days.

Keep Smiling,

4 comments:

  1. I bet your friend is relieved, it always amazes me where you come across these positive signs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to express how someone feels when everyone needs it most!

    Luckily for me, I do not have experience with the ER! *knock on wood* but I hope your friend will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad I checked out your blog today. I have been struggling to stay positive. My father passed away - unexpectedly - almost two weeks ago, and it has been hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Linda: Thanks for stopping by today. My friend and I are very relieved that everything is ok!

    @Vanessa: Glad you don't know what it's like to be in the ER! Let's keep it that way ;)

    @Melissa: I am so sorry to hear of your father's passing. I know this is a hard time to stay positive, but try your best - optimism has great power! I hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!