Sunday, April 10, 2011

Are Your Doors of Happiness Open or Closed?

Image: Google

Hello Optimists,

I was looking through my list of quotes today trying to find one that was particularly inspiring. My list, of course being a good 10 pages long, is filled to the brim with words that never fail to light a spark in me. Some I have read hundreds of times, and others have just been recently added, but no matter how long they've been part of my collection, there are just certain times when some quotations seem to pop.

Since I've been writing here on OO, I have often turned to my own experiences, thoughts, or emotions to guide my post topics, and sometimes I have used my observations of others' to share a story with you. But, I also like to just browse through my quotes and choose one not because it necessarily "means something" or is representative of something at that time, but just because it feels like the right one to share with all of you.

Today's featured quote is exactly that: one that I wanted to share with all of you...just because.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.   - Helen Keller
I find this quote to be not only wise, but quite true. I find that often, people choose not to think or talk about the good that is happening in life, but rather, about the problems (or what we Optimists would call "challenges") that they are facing. By focusing all of our attention on the "closed doors" before us, we lose sight of the others that have already opened and those that offer something even greater than we could have expected.

I face this challenge too, and I find that the more I focus on thinking positively and finding the good in the not-so-ideal situations I am faced with, the more I can find those open doors in life. I hope you can realize this too and make it optimism and positive thinking a part of your way of life!

How do you make sure to acknowledge the doors of happiness that are open to you?

Keep Smiling,

4 comments:

  1. Sort of like:
    When a door closes, a window opens. This is SUCH a true statement too. Those of us who follow this path know this better then those who don't.

    Doors close and windows open ALL the time. If we aren't immersed in the paradigm we will miss the window EVERY time. Even those of us who know to look for the open window may miss it.

    I like that you're using the word challenges in lieu of the word problems. There are NO problems. There are only challenges that we haven't overcome yet.

    Be happy! Be Well! Be Positive!
    Blessings to you.
    --
    Chris
    http://www.cjpwisdomandlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you are so right Vanessa! I hear myself saying as much to my family over and over again,
    "When one door closes, somewhere, another will open," This view has carried us through redundancy, bereavement and some very tough times.
    Have just become a grandmother for the second time in six months so my attitude is 100 percent positive at the moment and long shall it remain so :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quote from Helen Keller is one I
    often recall my parents quoting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's like driving and watching everything in the rearview mirror. You may miss your next turn and might even have an accident because you weren't paying attention.

    I don't mind reminiscing about my past on occasion, but I don't want to live in the past. There's nothing there to change or do anything about. It's best to direct one's attention on the here and now and to prepare for what's ahead.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!