Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Last Page is the Beginning

Image: Google


Hello Optimists,


I came across a great quote today that really made me think - not only about its message it sent, but also about the person who spoke the words. Today's featured quote is, as you will see, from Henry David Thoreau, one of America's great writers. What is so great about his words here, besides their absolute truth, is that he speaks not just as a writer who encourages to others to just read...he takes it a step further and encourages us to live


What I find is that in our daily lives, we sometimes get stuck on a one-path track. Today's featured quote is a great example of how someone is not stuck on one path, but rather, can see the bigger picture, and encourages us to do the same. Here, Henry David Thoreau speaks not only as a writer, but as a reader, a teacher, a student, and a human being. He can see all sides of the story, not just his perspective as an author.

A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting. -Henry David Thoreau 
This idea goes back to the posts I've written about putting your thoughts and words into action, and today we have another great quote to serve as inspiration to do so. I love that as an author, he shows that there is more to reading than just turning the pages. We're not really finished once we've turned that last page...we've got to look beyond the typeface and live beyond the lines. Turning the "last page" is a sign for us to live out the words we've read or to put to action the thoughts we've been thinking - it actually signals the beginning.  When we can do that, our "good book" can be safely tucked away on our shelf. Until then though, it is to remain open...


Remember that we must get more out of life than what's on the surface - we have to learn to take things to the next level and make our thoughts turn into action.


Keep Smiling,

7 comments:

  1. This is very true. If not done, our reading becomes an empty exercise of scanning pages and absorbing nothing.

    I even do this with my own writing. Often I am sharing advice that I am writing to myself in order to inspire and motivate myself into action. My first audience is often me and if someone else reads and gains something from what I've written that's an added bonus.

    Tomorrow (Monday April 18) I will be honoring your blog as my 'O' topic is "Optimal Optimism". Hope I steer some more readers in your direction so they can benefit from your excellent messages.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote. Good books have the power to transform the mind.
    Thanks for the heads up on this blog Arlee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that quote. Putting words into action is something that certainly take one's life in a different, and often better direction.

    I'm glad that Arlee recommended readers to pay a visit to your blog.


    The Madlab Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful quote and great interpretation of it. Its so great to read positive messages and inspirational ideas.

    Great post...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lee: Thanks for your comment and for mentioning me in your post! It is so greatly appreciated! Thanks for helping me spread optimism :)

    @Maurice: Thanks for stopping by today- glad you liked the quote!

    @Nicole: You're right - taking action does take life in new directions...glad you liked today's post! Thanks for checking out my blog!

    @Greg: Thanks for your comment. Hope to see you back at OO again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely good thoughts are useless unless turned into actions. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great post! I put several things into action today, the most exciting of which is I started applying to colleges so I could pursue a degree in psychology.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!