Saturday, May 14, 2011

An Optimism Coincidence? I Think Not.

Hello Optimists,

Sorry it's been a little while since my last post, but a lot has been going on lately! I have been quite busy, but things have mostly wrapped up in the last few days and I've had some time to have relax and have some fun.

I was lucky enough to receive tickets in the mail for a taping of the talk show The View this week, so I invited my best friend along for a day in New York City. I had requested these tickets about two years ago for a taping in December, so it was quite unexpected when I got the tickets in the mail, but it couldn't have been more perfect timing. A quick BoltBus ride from Philadelphia got us to NYC in just two hours, and we had basically the whole entire day to do whatever we wanted.

New York City is a great place and we had a lot of fun riding the subway from one end to the other to experience as much as we could in a day trip. One of the best things about NYC is their public transportation system which can get you anywhere you want to be relatively quickly. My friend, who has worked in the city and who will be attending grad school there in the fall, is already an expert in mapping out the routes we needed to take to get around...so once we bought our MetroCard we were off!

I've been to the city quite a bit since I (fortunately!) live pretty close, so I've had a number of MetroCards. Since they all look the same, I never really examined them much - just swiped the card through the entry point and slid it back in my pocket until my next subway ride. In fact, that's what I did this time too, but it wasn't until after I had used this one a few times that, for some unknown reason, I decided to turn it around and check out what was on the back. And when I did, I couldn't believe it....

"Oh my God! Look at this!!" I said to my friend, who was ahead of me on the platform. You'd swear that I had just struck gold or something. She turned around and faced my card, which I was holding out at eye level. 

"Whoaaaa," she responded, and then flipped hers over to see if hers was the same. It wasn't. Only mine had this printed on the back: 


I had to immediately snap a picture of it, right there on the platform, before we got on the subway. I wish instead someone had captured my reaction when I discovered this on my card. It was an odd feeling...and the goosebumps on my arm told me that it wasn't just a coincidence. It was something more. It was another one of those signs that seem to "pop up" in my life. I think it really gives meaning to this saying:
Optimism can take you anywhere. 
And by anywhere, it really means anywhere, even though this particular card is only good for getting around NYC. This is one MetroCard that I will not be throwing away. In fact, right now it is taped just above my laptop on my wall as a source of inspiration. 

Remember, Optimists, that if you make the choice to make optimism a way of life, you just never know where it will pop up. Sometimes it's in a place where you go to find peace, or in a place where you're surrounded by positive vibes, but sometimes, it can be found in the most unexpected of places...and this is when you know that life is goooooood. 


Keep Smiling,




P.S. I thought I would share the excitement of this weekend with you - it's a big one for me and my family. My parents are celebrating their 34th wedding anniversary today and tomorrow I will be graduating and receiving my Bachelor's degree! Two good reasons to smile  :D

8 comments:

  1. NYC is random like that, aren't they?! That's awesome! That's one card for your collection!

    It is so true that a positive mindset can take you anywhere because you don't feel so held back from opportunity and life. You have less stress and anxiety. Optimism is good daily practice but it takes time!

    Congratulations on your college graduation and I hope your parents have many more happy and healthy years together. So inspiring! Optimism is all around us from a word on a daily subway pass in our experiences to in our own family!

    Vanessa @ Project Zen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic find on the back of your card! I just love it when those kinds of things happen! Someday, I'm going to visit New York City. It's one of my newer wants in life. Congrats to your parents on their anniversary and to YOU on your graduation! Many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOOOO SOOOOO Cool. Messages really do appear everywhere. I've blogged so many times about messages from the divine. It's so nice to see other people recognize these communiqué as coming from source. LOVE it, Vanessa!

    Be Happy! Be Well! Be Positive!
    Blessings to you.
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seems to be an expert in this field, great article and keep up the great work, my friend recommended me this.

    My blog:
    Regroupement De Credit aussi comparateur Rachat De Credit

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Vanessa: So true! And thanks for the congrats on graduation and for my parents! :)

    @Becky: You should definitely visit NYC - it's such a fun place and a must-see in life! Thanks for the well wishes for me and my parents! Hugs!!

    @Chris: I love when these signs pop up in life...happens all the time now that I've open myself to it!

    @Anonymous: Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you liked the post! Hope to see you back here soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderfully amazing! Thank you for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this site^-^

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!