Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Internal Thoughts

Image: Google

Hello Optimists,

I was watching a webinar the other day about a topic unrelated to this blog, yet as it always seems to happen, I found myself thinking about how I should share some of the things I learned in it with you. Though the topic was business-related, there was one quote that the leader of the webinar shared with us that I thought was pretty great. It was spoken to her by a trusted friend (and a very wise friend at that!) and it really stuck with her. I know that once she told us those words of wisdom her friend had shared, it stuck with me as well.... and I have a feeling that it's going to make an impact with you too.
Be careful what you tell yourself, because it's probably what will happen.
 Ah, another reminder of why positive thinking is so important! This one is pretty hard to do though, and it is often one roadblock I face. It's easy to knock down your ideas or convince yourself otherwise about something you'd like to do. It's easy to find reasons why your ideas just won't work and why you're silly to even think of them. But we must be careful about what we say...because we're really good at convincing ourselves to do (or not do) something.

I featured another quote a while back by Henry Ford that is similar to this one: "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually  right". And it's so true! I know that envisioning a goal is really only a small part of actually reaching it, and that a lot of other hard work and dedication needs to go into things, but you can never even get to that hard work without having the courage to go after the goal in the first place. So it really all boils down to the fact that we need to think positively about things if we want to have a positive outcome. No good will come of negative thoughts or constant shots to your ego.

I'm going to try to keep this in mind all the time, and I hope you will too. Do you find it hard to keep a positive internal conversation going?

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

5 comments:

  1. Oh so true! I find it fascinating and yet sad, that we humans are like that. And it seems like it's the majority of us. Why would we possibly tell ourselves that our dreams and ideas are stupid and will most likely fail? Did the people who ARE living their dreams and achieving all goals...did they have fabulous parents and mentors...instead of us who maybe had really nice, or good parents, but they didn't encourage us, or encourage us enough?? And speaking of that....I gotta get off the internet and get busy...with other things!!! Writerly things!! Thanks for an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I believe it too :-). Your thoughts truly do influence your actions, and if you truly think you can achieve something, you have a really good shot at doing so. Of course, that's always easier said than done because it's hard to constantly monitor your thoughts and make sure they're positive. Thanks for the reminder though :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe it or not, Becky, I struggle with this from time to time. I sometimes think the worst when something is not going my way.

    And 90% of the time I later discover that what I was thinking was so far off the mark. I80 degrees off the mark. And yet I fall into the trap time and again.

    So see? I do have moments when I'm not practicing what I preach. I wouldn't be human otherwise.

    Be Happy! Be Well! Be Positive!
    Blessings to you.
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Becky: I totally agree, but I think it is just the human condition to struggle with this. Thanks for your insight and for stopping by to leave your thoughts!

    @Ashley: So true - it's wayyy easier said than done, but sometimes we just need to remind ourselves to do it!

    @Chris: I too have moments like this, but like you said, we wouldn't be human otherwise! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!