Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Live Without These Top Regrets

Image: Google

Hello Optimists,

A friend shared a link the other day on Facebook that directed me to a blog post and after reading it, it left me almost speechless. In fact, the only thing I could say was, "Wow...".  I knew immediately that I had to share this post with you.

The article was entitled, "Nurse Reveals the Top 5 Regrets People Make on their Deathbed". Normally, I don't like to think about death, or about the moments of regret that people face, but after reading through the post, it really hit me that the regrets mentioned here were at the core of what Optimal Optimist is all about eliminating from life.

Here are the top 5 regrets people make on their deathbed:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected from me.
2. I wish I didn't work so hard.
3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

Ugh, it just pulls at your heart, doesn't it? It's amazing the absolute clarity with which we see things at the moments they are just about to end, and it's unfortunate that in this case, we don't get the chance to go back and change things once life is over here on Earth.

The first and the fifth regret were the ones that moved me the most, and they are two very important parts of being an Optimal Optimist. Having the courage to live a life true to yourself is something that not many people can do because they are constantly seeking the approval of others or striving to meet unrealistic expectations set by those around them. Living true to yourself is not being selfish; it is quite the opposite. By living true to yourself, you are setting a great example for others to follow and allowing yourself to be the best you can be for everyone's benefit.

Letting yourself be happier is one of the topics we discuss quite frequently here on OO. As I always say, happiness is a state of mind, and you need to make a conscious decision to be happy every day if that's the life you want to live. So go ahead, let yourself be happier. Starting today.

I remembered a short quote about regret that could not be more fitting for today's post. It's one that I think will be easy for you all to remember and I hope is one that will be easy for you to put to action in your life.
Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. -Jonathan Larson
I feel fortunate to have come across this article because it brought me to a moment of clarity and allowed me to stop and think about the things that I may be doing now that can possibly turn into some of my greatest regrets later in life.

If you would like to see the original post, it can be found here. I would love for you to share with me your thoughts about it and if there is anything that you do to live a life with no regrets.

Keep Smiling,

7 comments:

  1. What a great post! I like to think I am living without regrets but I suppose I won't know for sure until I get there.... the trouble spot for me is number 3. I try to look out for others more then myself... I think one can learn how to speak their truth without being overly hurtful to others but sometimes the truth will hurt and I am not always courageous about that!

    P.S. I would love to have you guest post again if you would like to do it! Just let me know what habit speaks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brilliant post thanks so much for sharing. I would add how important it is to follow your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very captivating, thought provoking post as always Vanessa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post...I was having this kind of conversation with a colleague on the tube last night along the lines of what was next career-wise for each of us.

    Right now, I am in a place of feeling great about what I do and how I do it so I'm revelling in that and will just see what comes of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vanessa:
    As always an inspiring post. I don't live with regret. Never have. I learned a long time ago that I wasn't going to wake up one day and say:
    woulda
    shoulda
    coulda.

    Thanks for reminding us all how important it is to live a fulfilling life.

    Be Happy! Be Well! Be Positive!
    Blessings to you.
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kathy: It's great to hear from you again! Thanks for stopping by and glad you liked this post. I would love to guest post again...I'll be in touch via email very soon!

    @Linda: Glad you liked this one and what a great addition to the list! That's definitely an important thing we never want to regret!

    @Vanessa: Thanks for the kind words, V!

    @Kym: Glad to hear that you're in a great place. That must be a great feeling - I bet if you continue on this path you won't have any regrets! :)

    @Chris: Love that you're living without regrets! Way to go!! I hope we can all follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great list! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!