Sunday, July 10, 2011

Optimism: The Magnet for All Things Good

Image: Google

Hello Optimists,

My friend Kathy from Bliss Habits shared a lovely comment on my last post and included a great quote in it too. She asked if I had featured that one yet here on OO, and since I hadn't yet used that one and since I loved it so much, I thought I would share it with you today.

After reading the quote, I knew it was going to be one of the many on my Favorites list, but after seeing who it was quoted by, I immediately knew it was another one that was "meant to be" shared with me. Here's today's featured quote....I'll explain the many reasons why I love it so much right below.
"Optimism is a happiness magnet. If you stay positive, good things and good people will be drawn to you." -Mary Lou Retton
You know, I couldn't agree more with this one. Optimism is most certainly a happiness magnet. You've probably read my many entries about the "signs" of positivity that pop into my life, or the little hints here and there that point me towards optimism. There is no doubt there is a direct connection between optimism and happiness.

I have also found that it is absolutely true that good things and good people are drawn to those who make optimism a way of life. Of course, we encounter a number of different people on a daily basis, many of whom can be considered fellow optimists, and some of whom can be considered pessimists. But what I have found is that only those that align with my optimistic outlooks have stuck around and have made an impact on my life. We all have to deal with those who are negative, but by remaining optimistic and trying to live a positive lifestyle, we will find that those in our lives that matter most are those with the same overall outlook.

Another reason I was also so excited about this quote was because it was spoken by Mary Lou Retton, one of the biggest names in the sport of gymnastics. As it turns out, I was a competitive gymnast for 10 years, and the sport was (and still is) a huge part of my life. When I was younger, sports in general took up most of my time, and gymnastics was by far the leader in that.  I loved everything about it and really learned a great deal from it, even though at the time, I had no idea was a great foundation it was giving me for the rest of my life. Though today I no longer compete or am directly involved in the sport anymore, there is not a day that goes by that I do not think about it.

I found it all too ironic that I would be introduced to a great new quote from a fellow Optimist and that it would be spoken by one of my greatest childhood (and adult) idols. Thanks, Kathy, for sharing this one!

Keep Smiling,


1 comment:

  1. So true! And I just loved Mary Lou Retton, too.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!