Friday, July 22, 2011

Walt's Words of Wisdom

Image: Google

Hello Optimists,

I returned from a lovely beach vacation last week feeling refreshed and looking a bit more bronze than before I left. Vacations often come at the most necessary of times, when you desperately need a break and some dedicated time to do absolutely nothing.

Being a Certified Beach Bum could easily be my job title and I'm certain that I'd be pretty darn good at it. I love the beach, and I'm happy there, and as my brother-in-law told me this past week, I'm "in my element" there. As a current job career searcher, I am dedicated to finding the profession that will allow me to be as happy and "in my element" as much as I am when I'm at the beach.

I came across an article today profiling some employees at Disney, known as "the happiest place on earth" and I thought it was perfectly fitting to the hunt I am currently on. I want my workplace to have the same nickname and uphold some pretty serious happiness standards as Disney, and I would love to work with other employees who are just as happy and enthusiastic about their jobs as well.

Companies that emote this vibe of happiness have (at least) two things in common: they're very popular and they're very successful. And it's no wonder why they've become such great successes...we all know the incredible power and benefits of positivity and happiness.

For today's post, I thought it would only be right to feature a quote from the man who created the "happiest place on earth". Most of his famous quotes are truly inspiring, but this one in particular is one of my favorites.

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.    
-Walt Disney

As with many things, Walt was right on with this one. We have the power to turn our dreams into reality, but it takes a whole heck of a lot of courage. And confidence. And hard work. That's why so many of us think that our dreams will just be....well, dreams, and nothing more. I know I certainly have big dreams, as I'm sure we all do, and I know that sometimes I am holding myself back because I just don't have the courage to pursue them. Of course, we all aren't so courageous that we take on whatever lofty goal or dream that we have set, but I'm working on revamping my strategy so that I can make all of my dreams come true. 

On the road to this goal, we need to be constantly trying to find our own "happiest places on earth", even if we're nowhere near Disney. Find the place where you belong, where you can be purely happy, and where optimism surrounds you. That's what I'm looking for, anyway, and I know that many of my fellow OOs are too. 

So, do you have a "happiest place on earth", or are you still on a quest to find it?

Keep Smiling,

3 comments:

  1. I think my happiest place on earth is somewhere where I can survive and thrive with likely optimistic minds in a healthy environment. For awhile, I thought I wanted to move out to somewhere like Philly...but now I'm not so sure.

    Vanessa @ Project Zen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have three happiest places:
    1. In front of my computer when I'm writing. My blog has given me my love of writing back again. I mentioned on a few social networks the other day that someone I recently met for the first time asked me what I did. (isn't it funny that thats one of the 1st questions we get ask and receive upon meeting someone for the ist time? As if what we do defines us as a person.)

    Without hesitating, without even thinking about what I was saying, I told this person I was a writer. The words just spilled out. What's funny is that i haven't considered myself a writer in over fifteen years. My brain NOW thinks otherwise.

    2. Behind my camera. Photography is another important part of my life.

    3. In a book or working at my day job at my local library. There are few things better then being in the middle of a good book. One thing better is being at work and having one of my regulars come in and ask me to recommend something. I have a whole group of people who trust me now to pick out something for them and the will read ANYTHING I suggest. Their trust in my opinion is THAT deep. The greatest joy I get is when someone COMPLETELY new comes in and looks for me and after reading something I recommend having them come back and ask for something again. That's when I know I've done my job.
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a nice vacation. I'm going to Tennessee in a couple of weeks. It's a kind of last minute thing, but it will be good to see family.

    I'm still waiting for that happiest place job. Ideally if I can make decent money working at home then I will have found one of my preferred working situations.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!