Monday, August 8, 2011

It's Happiness Happens Day!

Hello Optimists,

Today I was browsing online on one of my favorite websites and found out it is "Happiness Happens Day"! What a lovely surprise.

According to the article, the "Secret Society of Happy People" who founded this day in 1999, originally called it  "Admit You're Happy Day" with the goal of "spreading the joy of being happy, and to persuade people to look on the brighter side of life".

The Secret Society of Happy People?! First, I thought, why haven't I heard of this society before? Then I thought, why I am a not a part of it? And finally, why is it a "secret" society? My curiosity got the best of me, and I just had to find out more. So, I turned to my friend, Google, and headed over to their website.

But before handing in my membership form, I thought about it for a minute, and I realized that I have my own society of happy people right here on OO! Of course, it's no secret, and in fact, I encourage everyone to share it with their friends, but I think we have our own little group thing goin' on here, right?

After reading through the information on the website for a bit, I remembered a great, yet simplistic quote about happiness that I thought would be perfect for this post:
The purpose of our lives is to be happy. -Dalai Lama
I love this one. It gets straight to the point and leaves out all of that other "stuff" that we tend to pack into our brains about finding our purpose in life. Sure, it may go a bit beyond this, but ultimately, being happy is one of the greatest reasons we have to live.

So, the article I came across highlighted 5 "instant mood boosters", or things to make us happy, and I wanted to share them with you.
  1. Tune out. Think of something that soothes you.
  2. Sing! Singing out loud (not just in your head) can counter some of the ill effects of stress.
  3. Get outside. Studies show that spending time in the great outdoors can boost mood and enhance feelings of pleasure.
  4. Take a bath. Being immersed in warm water not only soothes sore muscles, it also has mood-boosting side effects. 
  5. Laugh out loud. Research shows that laughter releases natural feel-good chemicals from the brain.
I like these...and I am happy to report that I did most of them today and they did make me quite happy! I think I would add a few things to that list, like 
     6. Look through pictures of happy times.
     7. Call a friend.
     8. Sit down, and take three deep breaths. 
     9. Do whatever makes you smile, no matter what other people may think.
    10. Put a "happy plan" into action and map out your strategy for fun!

I could probably go on and on about things to add to the list, but I think I'll stop there and let you fill in the rest. What else would you add to the list of "instant mood boosters"?

Keep Smiling,


2 comments:

  1. I am a member of your group and agree with your list but would substitute listening to music rather than singing :)
    I hope you are having a good summer, it it passing much too quickly

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Linda: Thanks for being a member of the OO group! So glad to have you :) You're right, summer is passing too quickly, but I am trying to enjoy every moment of it!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!