Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Oriental Grass and Optimism? Why, Yes!



Hello Optimists,

You will not believe where my newest sign of optimism popped up this time...

During the past few months I have been working up to a permanent position for the company I was interning at. Last week, I was taken on full-time, so I am *officially* employed as of date. Today, I was sifting through my desk drawers, emptying out any old papers that may have been left behind by someone else and just cleaning things up in the space that will be my own for a while. 

I started by sliding open the top set of drawers on my right side, expecting to see a dark, empty space inside, but instead I pulled open the first drawer and saw a bunch of papers, a pair of scissors, a magazine called "Think Geek", (which is definitely not my style...maybe this was once the IT department?) and a what appeared to be really peculiar mini notepad. It was triangular in shape, and had "The Ornamental Grass Kit" printed on the cover. 

At first, I had to laugh, because I thought, who would bring an ornamental grass kit to the office? Weird. So I picked it up, turned to a random page inside and read this:

"Growth is a metaphor for your own personal journey, and watching the grass you planted with your own hands mature right before your eyes is a wonderful way to reflect on your own path and life. Use the quotes included in this booklet as a way to focus on your own growth process , and enjoy the light and life this kit brings you. Your journey starts here."

My eyes widened in disbelief and I got instant goosebumps all over my arms and legs. I shook my head, chuckled to myself, and continued to page through this little book. Wouldn't you know that each of its pages featured a different quote about things like serenity, peace and nature? 

So there I sat, paging through this tiny book that was left there for me to find, and found a quote that I wanted to share with you today.

"Serenity is not peace from the storm, but peace within the storm." -Anonymous

I also found it quite ironic that I would stumble across this quote in particular, because this week is Serenity Week at Bliss Habits and I had just submitted a guest post a few days ago to my blogger friend Kathy who runs the site, on what else, but "Finding Serenity". My post will be up at the end of the week, but do check out her site whenever you can because it's great! 

Anyway, I loved this quote because it is absolutely true. We often have a hard time finding serenity because we don't look for it in our daily lives. We look at it as an escape from our daily routines, but I think if we put the effort into finding little pieces of serenity throughout our lives we can find that peace we're always looking for. Remember to find peace within the storm whenever things seem to be getting a bit too hectic. 



Keep Smiling,

3 comments:


  1. "Serenity is not peace from the storm, but peace within the storm." -Anonymous

    I also found it quite ironic that I would stumble across this quote in particular, because this week is Serenity Week at Bliss Habits and I had just submitted a guest post a few days ago to my blogger friend Kathy who runs the site, on what else, but "Finding Serenity".


    This isn't ironic at all, Vanessa. I'm a HUGE believer that everything happens for a reason. Nothing is an accident and there are no coincidences.

    Once you travel that path, there's no stepping off. You were supposed to find that notepad. It is The Law of Attraction working in your life. The Law is ALWAYS working even when we're not paying attention.
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Chris: You're right...no irony here - thanks for reminding me that these things happen for a reason...I believe that now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great karma Vanessa and Congratulations on the job.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!